·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By
Antonia Noori Farzan and
Miriam Berger
Oct. 13, 2020 at 9:46 a.m. MDT
The head of the World Health Organization said Monday that allowing the novel coronavirus to spread in an attempt to reach herd immunity was “simply unethical.”
The remark was a sharp rebuke of the approach amid mounting new infections around the world. Recent days have seen the most rapid rise in cases since the pandemic began in March.

“Never in the history of public health has herd immunity been used as a strategy for responding to an outbreak, let alone a pandemic,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a Monday media briefing. “It is scientifically and ethically problematic.”
In a public health context, herd immunity typically describes a scenario in which a large enough share of the population is vaccinated against a disease to prevent it from spreading widely, thereby providing default protection to a minority of people who have not been vaccinated.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
By
Antonia Noori Farzan and
Miriam Berger
The head of the World Health Organization said Monday that allowing the novel coronavirus to spread in an attempt to reach herd immunity was “simply unethical.”
The remark was a sharp rebuke of the approach amid mounting new infections around the world. Recent days have seen the most rapid rise in cases since the pandemic began in March.

“Never in the history of public health has herd immunity been used as a strategy for responding to an outbreak, let alone a pandemic,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a Monday media briefing. “It is scientifically and ethically problematic.”
In a public health context, herd immunity typically describes a scenario in which a large enough share of the population is vaccinated against a disease to prevent it from spreading widely, thereby providing default protection to a minority of people who have not been vaccinated.
That's hilarious coming from Tedros! They can't make up their minds....lol
What an idiot.

·
Shazbot!
5,053 Posts
Didn't they just say yesterday that lockdowns should only be used in emergency situations because they were bad for the world economy?

·
Registered
482 Posts
By
Antonia Noori Farzan and
Miriam Berger

So what's your answer to this problem? Relying on a vaccine that may not ever materialize and will be dubiously effective due to the quickly mutating nature of this virus? Or do you have a better idea?

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have to concentrate on treatments just like they did with HIV. They have yet to prove that that immunity can be conveyed by either vaccine or having had the virus.

No point on relying on herd immunity until you know it is even possible.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
So what's your answer to this problem? Relying on a vaccine that may not ever materialize and will be dubiously effective due to the quickly mutating nature of this virus? Or do you have a better idea?
To many people in this world now. Just forget about any cure and let anyone over 55 kick the bucket. Just think how many people will be on earth if the Vaccine works. :)

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Didn't they just say yesterday that lockdowns should only be used in emergency situations because they were bad for the world economy?
That is what I thought

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,097 Posts
Dang. That is a thought. Hmm.

·
Administrator
19,241 Posts
They have to concentrate on treatments just like they did with HIV. They have yet to prove that that immunity can be conveyed by either vaccine or having had the virus.

It has taken decades to find treatments for HIV and I can't imagine we can effectively lock the world down for that long.

In my opinion, it seems incredibly unethical and inhumane to continue separating families by closed borders, denying people the right to properly bury their loved ones and locking elderly and infirmed away from the comfort of their loved ones for year or possibly decades.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,097 Posts
Commentary about preventing our elderly from hugging their families yielded this quotation.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”
C. S. Lewis

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Let me see if I get this straight. First the WHO says it is not airborne. Then they say lock down. Then they say don't lock down. Mask work, or was it they don't work? I can't keep that one straight. And America has fared worse than any nation on the planet because of gross negligence and ineptitude.

I am sure I missed a few more facts.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has taken decades to find treatments for HIV and I can't imagine we can effectively lock the world down for that long.

In my opinion, it seems incredibly unethical and inhumane to continue separating families by closed borders, denying people the right to properly bury their loved ones and locking elderly and infirmed away from the comfort of their loved ones for year or possibly decades.
Not sure why you responded to my post with that. I never talked about locking down. I talked about treatments.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Tedros is a joke. What he is saying is that we should turn our backs on thousands of years of human evolution under a constant barrage from novel viruses. Instead, we should trust him completely while he shakes the bones that tell us what we should do and who to make the check out to. The modern equivalent of a witch doctor.

·
Administrator
19,241 Posts
Let me see if I get this straight. First the WHO says it is not airborne. Then they say lock down. Then they say don't lock down. Mask work, or was it they don't work? I can't keep that one straight. And America has fared worse than any nation on the planet because of gross negligence and ineptitude.

I am sure I missed a few more facts.
I believe we were originally told that other than very specific masks, that were not to be used by the public made no difference at all.

I you look closely at their comments, what you actually see is qualifiers associated with all their statements.

My cousin's husband died many years ago, believing if that if a suitable bone marrow donor was found, he had a 70% chance of survival.

Much like covid, what he didn't hear was the qualifiers. If we find a bone marrow donor, if you survive chemo, if you survive the transplant and if the transplant is actually a success, then you have a 70% chance of survival but in all reality, you actually have closer to a 7% chance of survival taking into account all the aforementioned qualifiers.

·
Administrator
19,241 Posts
Not sure why you responded to my post with that. I never talked about locking down. I talked about treatments.
I addressed you because you started a thread on a subject that interests me and made a bold statement that I felt warranted discussion. Isn't that how these things go?

What options would you suggest until those treatments are found? If working toward herd immunity is not acceptable, we have no vaccine or medically approved treatments, what other options are available at this time?

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I addressed you because you started a thread on a subject that interests me and made a bold statement that I felt warranted discussion. Isn't that how these things go?

What options would you suggest until those treatments are found? If working toward herd immunity is not acceptable, we have no vaccine or medically approved treatments, what other options are available at this time?
Yet you did not discuss my statement but something ing else.

Treatments are available and more is learned about how the virus attacks the human body daily. Already they have reduced the death rate of those hospitalised in half since April because they better understand how the virus attacks those infected.

I believe that and preventive measures such as masks and social distancing are the best measures we have right now.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,895 Posts
WHO cares?

Treatments are available and more is learned about how the virus attacks the human body daily.

Already they have reduced the death rate of those hospitalised in half since April because they better understand how the virus attacks those infected.

I believe that and preventive measures such as masks and social distancing are the best measures we have right now.
More claims without evidence.
Please show something credible.

CDC First Said Not to Wear Masks, Then to Wear Masks, Then Masks Were Better than Vaccines – Now New Evidence Shows Masks Are Ineffective

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,895 Posts
No point in waiting for a vaccine until you know it's even possible.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

Treatments are available and more is learned about how the virus attacks the human body daily. Already they have reduced the death rate of those hospitalised in half since April because they better understand how the virus attacks those infected.

The statistics say the mortality rate is reduced by a large percentage since early on. But, they were skewed to begin with by certain governors shipping the virus into nursing homes and rest homes while hoarding PPE for photo ops.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

With those effective personal safety measures in place how about the government letting others do what they think is best for their families ?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts