Trying to id berries on the farm

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tobo6, Jun 24, 2004.

1. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

We've been on our farm for almost two years, and I keep running into more and more berry patches. The one's that I can id are blackberry, raspberry, salmonberry, oregon grape, huckleberry. Right now we have a berry that is growing that is big like a blackcap, when you pull it off it is hollow like a raspberry. They appear to be ripe right now because they pull off very easy. The thing is, they are bright orange. Not peachy pink like a salmonberry, but orange like a pumpkin! I'm a big chicken when trying berries that I don't recognize. Can anyone tell me what they are?

I'm in nw oregon in old forest growth area. I would love to know if I can make whatever these are into jam. I can't believe how many there are, and they are so big. The birds are eating them, because I find orange poop around, lol.

Thanks,
    Deb

2. Sandhills

Sandhills Well-Known Member

Take some to your co-operative extension office along with a small cutting of the bush. Some one there should be able to identify them for you.
    You might also check out the library, sometimes they have info specific to your area.
    I spent a lot of time when I was growing up visiting my grandparents in Oregon and I sure miss picking berries. My Grandma made the best berry cobbler. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it. We don't have such wonderful berries here in Nebraska so I have to make due with chokecherries and wild plums.
    Anyway, good luck finding out what your berries are.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Here is a photo of it, I had to wait until it was light enough outside to take one. The berries as you can see are really orange! These one's are pretty small compared to the others on our property which get big like blackcaps. I would try our county ext. office, but it's not a ahem....well run place, lol. They start out with a white blossom, then a white berry, turning bright orange. When they are bright orange they are really easy to pull off, so I take that as they are now ripe. I guess I should just eat on and see if I poison myself, but like I said I'm not real brave doing that. :haha:

[​IMG]

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

6. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Now that picture looks a lot like the berries, maybe a little more yellower than my berries though. Looking at the leaves, mine are more jagged on the edges than the yellow ones.

I'm googling as fast as I can, I'm sure I'll be dreaming berries tonight! ;)

Thanks,
    Deb

7. bare

bare Head Muderator

Well, if you REALLY wanna be sure, you can pick a full gallon of them and UPS 'em to me. I'll put them through my sampler and let you know the results.

8. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

lol, and poison you! :eek: :haha:

Thanks for all your help. I found on the web that raspberries come in red, yellow, orange, white and black, but I can't find a picture of the orange ones. All I get is orange sauce recipe's for red raspberries. I'm really leaning to these are orange raspberries because they resemble raspberries so much.

9. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm still alive. I decided that I was going to try one. Mmmmm, they are so good. They taste like raspberries! I guess they are orange raspberries, although I can't find any websites with pictures to compare, and I have never heard of orange raspberries until this morning when I read that raspberries come in different colors.

I learn something new everyday. Now I am going to go pick some berries!

Deb

10. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Well there is such a thing as a orange salmonberry. You might want to look it up.

Kathy

11. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

They do look like golden raspberries to me. Wild ones would be a great find. Watch them close as most golds I have seen are everberring, that is you could get berries off them Spring through Fall as long as the get enough water. You may want to try moving some to a contained area as if you can get them to survive the transplant, under cultivation you may get a larger berry and a more full crop (and be able to save more from the birds).

12. Katiecakes

Katiecakes Member

I planted golden raspberries last year and they look just like your photo. The leaves look exactly like mine as do the berries. But as someone else said your local extension office would know for sure.

13. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

It's a yellow or golden raspberry, whichever you wish to call them. The reason that it doesn't look exactly like the picture of the tame one is that all wild raspberries are hybrids. No two plants will be exactly alike when grown from seed. That's why they are only commercially propagated by cuttings.

Martin

14. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

This is too cool. I didn't pay attention last summer when we were here, but we were so busy building and stuff, that I wasn't paying attention. We have a lot splattered around the property. With 4 kids and myself picking, we got almost 2 gallons picked! I did notice that some still had blooms, so I'm looking forward to picking more.

Thanks for all the help you guys, I feel like I've hit the mother lode today! :D

Deb

15. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey thanks bare, you just helped me identify the plant I have been wondering about..... I also got brave oneday and poped one in my mouth...and then another and another.....

people I've asked have only ever known it as 'wild maple'.... nobody seems to ever have eaten the berries and I'm so glad hehehe, they are even better than raspberry(raspberry is now my second favorite berry).

I am now taking cuttings to fill my future thimble berry patch. :D

16. bare

bare Head Muderator

I'd love to hear if you have ANY success with your cuttings. I believe I've tried everything to get them established here on my place and failed unequivocally.

Fortunately, there are huge patches of them in the area, but even still, the leaves being as big as they are, it's really hard to get enough berries to do anything with except fill your cheeks.

17. primal1

The one bush I have now I found burried in a clump of cedars, it had two whimpy shoots about 2.5' tall stretching for light. I moved it to a sunny full morning to mid afternoon location last fall. At that time I took two cuttings and stuck one in beside the mother the other i stuck elsewhere(it didn't take) where as the one with mom took and produced new shoots to boot. I even had one shoot pop up about a foot and a half from the mother(it got chopped by the mower though) ... the whole bush is now 2.5' in diameter and well lets just say MANY shoots standing strong and about 2-2.5' tall. I've just opened up more ground for them to keep spreading.

I'll keep ya posted for sure... as for your situation with them I'm stumped! Guess you'll just have to keep tryin.... maybe try to take some new shoots with some root, that'll do ya.

That mouthfull will be all mine... maybe on top of a cheese cake or something MMMMMMMMay be a jam or jelly if i can get enough :D... i will have to cover it with netting like i will with my grapes to keep the birds away... I just read that they love them to and they disappear fast.

18. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I wonder if they like to be planted by cedar tree's. When we were picking ours, we were also eating huckleberries and most of those come out of the old cedar stumps we have. I'm getting really curious about trying to start my own where I can get to them better.

I agree, they are so much better than red raspberries, and red raspberries are my favorite berry too, so that is saying a lot! My bushes are really tall, most of them as tall or taller than me and I'm almost 5'9".

I've been having people try them this weekend, and they are so skeptical until they taste them. I would have no problem selling them, I think. :haha:

Deb

19. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

I have a BIG patch of thimbleberry that is now 3 years old. It is not under cedar trees but in an area that they have afternoon shade that would normally be provided by woodland area.
    I was able to take sucessful cutting by using the new shots. The plant spreads by underground runners. so when a new shot appeared I pulled up with part of the underground runner. This way I had roots already established. and cut about 6 inches down the underground runner. Then put them in potting soil and watered, and watered, and watered, and waited. they looked real wimpy at one time, but I waited. Now 2 months later my cuttings are producing new leaves. :dance:
    I dont know if this is a surefire method, just something that worked for me.

OH- blackberry and rasberry are my favs. :D

Kathy

20. primal1

Here's an update bare... i took 6 cuttings and they all took. They are in pots with potting soil and on the East side of the house, so basically just morning sun till about 11am.
    I think the trick is what Kathy mentioned, no afternoon sun "and watered, and watered, and watered".
    Also I find removing a lot of the bigger leaves helps, leave just one or two near the tops.
    Also like Kathy mentioned taking cuttings with a little root will greatly increase your chances... good luck!

P