Trying to find land to buy...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RyleeM, Aug 7, 2005.

1. RyleeM

RyleeM Active Member

Hi all...
    we had a nice 5 acre piece picked out with a run down house(was repairable) an older barn, and a few corrals. We talked to the owner and he would sell to us at $30,000 on payments. The well to the property was on his corn field, which would not be sold... and he would write an easement. He said that the pump was broke and he was going to have it fixed, then there would be water up there...

Well, I went and talked with an old farmer friend who I have known 5+ years, and he said that he knows that there is NO water under the land we would be buying, because that well dried up years ago... and that it is possible that the pump down the road is fine, just another dry well. We are in Nebraska in the middle of the drought so this is very possible...

We want to find a small piece of land to buy, from 5-20 acres, but we are having no luck. How did you all find the land you have. I watch the realtor websites daily, and do watch for abandoned properties.... but I can't find ANYTHING! I am going insane living in town...

HELP

2. pilot_34

pilot_34 Well-Known Member

I tend to find what I like and then deal for it but somtimes I find what I want and just take it. Of course if you want to buy it put out the word to everyone you know! LOl sorta like you are doing here! I suppose it wouldnt hurt to hand out card with your number and of course everybulitin board!
    Remeber though if you are trying to get somthing that someone isnt real intered in selling you are going to pay more,the more they want to sell the cheaper it should be.
    As to the water thing let me tell ya NOBODY KNOWS!!! LOL Its somthing If found out the hardway!

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

the best thing is to go to a realtor and have him/her look for you. Realtors have access to the MLS (Multi List) and many other resources that a regular person doesn't. Also, put an ad in the paper "Land Wanted", etc.

If I were you I wouldn't put too much stock in what the neighbor says. He may want the propery for himself. Talk to a well driller who is intimately familiar with the wells in that area and ask him for his opinion.

Also, you could write a contract up for teh land that is contingent upon a successful well being drilled. Then if there is water you can buy the land, and if not you are released from the contract. But see a real estate agent for that kind of stuff.

donsgal

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

5. peanutgreen

peanutgreen Well-Known Member

I pm'd you concerning land in this area.