Trying to decide

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Natalie11, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Natalie11

Natalie11 Well-Known Member

I know I have asked many questions in the past for peoples personal opionions, but somehow an outside source is always an impartial source to listen to.

We are still collecting books on homesteading and we have bookshelves full to our ceiling with everything from alternative energy to animal husbandry. Our current "problem" is that we are living on 1/4 acre in the middle of town with not much to work on. We reseeded our lawn last year in hopes of finally getting out of the desert, but now I am questioning the act. We had a fairly nice garden the year before last, and we have about 20 or more chickens in the back yard that we are holding our breath about. . .our roosters crow at about 3, 4, 5, 6, and all morning long! I love the sound, but we have had one person already say something to us.

We own our own business which is a drive through espresso shop. I am not convinced that I will be doing this for the rest of my life, and I don't really agree with the aspect of drive throughs to begin with so my heart and soul are not in our business. I know that we can make some money when the tourist season comes along, but the winter months (Nov-Beg. March) kill us. We have to save at least $5,000 in the season to survive the winter with not only our business but our home as well. I was reading living on $12,000 thread and I commend that person, we are very frugal as well and live on little. I only buy the kids clothes at the thrift store, I make all of our meals from scratch and use what we have before shopping again. We buy our meat in bulk once a year.

I just keep feeling like we are treading water on the buying acreage aspect. My husband is set on Kentucky/Tennessee area and has been for about 5 years now. I love the area, but we would be alone without family and I have a soon to be 5 yo, a 3 yo, and an 11 month old and having family around is really nice right now.

We keep saying that somewhere with water would be ideal and we have actually even taken the step of writing an offer on a home and having the deal fall through due to negligence on the Realtor's part. I guess I am just frustrated because land prices around us keep going up and they are not even reasonable anymore unless you live in the middle of the desert with nothing around you. We wanted accessible water, not irrigation if possible but I don't know if that is even the problem anymore.

Our biggest concern is making money if/when we moved elsewhere. We have been running our business for 3 years now, and we have both let go of other skills that might come in handy later on. We have also been working for ourselves this whole time, so getting a job is very feasible but not very tempting. I am willing to work wherever we go, and I know my husband would do anything to keep us afloat. . he is very good that way. I married a hard worker. I am just afraid that if we move back east that the job market is a tight one, and I am wondering if I would even remember how to do much else. I run our business out of our home, and my husband works at the shop pretty much everyday.

I don't know what to do anymore! I am tired of the game of we're moving we're not moving etc. . . Any ideas about how to overcome these problems?

2. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Do some serious research on the land available here in PA. There are currently 6.5 acres here in the Gibson PA area going for 49,900. There are several large cities within a 45 minute drive of anywhere from where I live. Many strip malls, large malls, etc., where a coffee shop would do well. There are also opportunities to work for someone else, if you drive. The cost of living is low here, the electric service is reasonably priced, and the people, for the most part, are wonderful. When we first moved here, we had no family around us, so we built one of our own. Now, I have several close friends I can depend on, and some of my actual family have moved here as well. As much as I hate cold weather, I love living in PA and couldn't imagine ever moving away.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are not real busy right now, why not go where you would like to locate and look for work that would support your family in a rented home there. Rent first. Buying before you get a foot hold is like burning your bridges behind you.

4. Natalie11

Natalie11 Well-Known Member

Ninn - Where did you move from? Was it a total climatic change to move to PA? We have never even looked in PA, but now I think I might add it to my United Country searches.

Uncle Will - Yes, we understand the renting before buying concept. Everything hangs on the fact that we will have to sell our current home in a marketplace that we can't buy back into so if we go somewhere it has to be a pretty serious move in general, otherwise we will have to just keep traveling to find the right place.