Trying to decide about cages

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by 2horses, Oct 4, 2004.

1. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

I know this is not a pet rabbit forum, but I was hoping I could pick y'alls expert brains about housing for pets-that-may-become-breeding-stock bunnies that I have - I want to make sure that when I invest in a cage, I get one that will be useful 6 months down the road.

Here's the deal - I currently have two 6 week old Castor Mini Rex males. They are being housed together, and of course get along fine. But from what I've read, I can't expect that to continue - or will it? Will males get along as long as there are no females to fight over? If so, what size cage would be best to house two buns together in? I'm leaning toward 30 X 24, but have no basis for that inclination - thus I need leadership!! LOL

Now, if (and that's a big if) I decide to get two females and begin breeding them, then is a divided cage really big enough? It seems that the largest size I can reasonably afford is 36 X 24 or 30, which makes two 18 X whichever cages. That just seems small to me! And, will I be able to keep the two pairs together, or will I need four cages?

Obviously, I am sorely in need of guidance right now - any advice or suggestions you care to offer will be most appreciated!! And as an aside, I petted an adult Mini Rex for the first time this weekend - thus the purchase of the two male babies! What an amazing coat they have! I'm looking forward to mine growing up and being that exquisite, and part of the reason why I may decide to increase my herd!

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Pam :cool:

2. TamarackTillie

TamarackTillie Member

Hi 2horses,
    I know this isn't a pet forum too but there's always good info in it so I check it out frequently.
    You asked about keeping your males together down the road. I've had much success with keeping my males together and my females together. AND I also have those that won't have ANY part of being together. I have 2 sets of males I keep together (only 2 per pen) and 1 set of females with only 2 per pen.
    I just finished building my 4th cage I'm hoping to put two of my other bucks together. I made it big enough so if I have to I will separate it. I will carefully watch the rabbits when I put them together tomorrow. They are in a cage right now that is separated with wire, have been that way for sometime now so they sort of know each other but haven't been "together". The cage I built for them is 48" by 30". It's surprisingly easy to build the cages..even with rough lumber as I'm using. I still need to build 2 more. My dh was quite impressed when he saw what I did. He didn't think I had it in me :haha:
    I guess I would just keep a close watch on the little guys. When/if they start showing signs of aggression and beating up on one another you will have to separate them. Mine will chase each other around the cage from time to time but for the most part they're happy...they eat, drink & sleep together.
    My dh bought me a Rex (Harvey is spotted b&w) a few years ago for Christmas.
    I also have a Mini Lop, Satin and mutts. Love 'em all :)
    Hope this helps you somewhat.....

3. ??

?? New Member

I would suggest a separate cage for each rabbit for breeding stock. If they are just going to remain pets and there are not any does close by then they will probably do fine together.
    If you keep them together I would not recommend anything smaller than the 36x24. A 36x30 would be better. If you separate them then a 24x24 would be the smallest cage I would recommend for a Mini Rex. An 18x24 or even an 18x30 is fairly small for this size rabbit.
    If you go with the 36x24 to start out with and later decide to start raising them then get smaller separate cages for each rabbit and use the larger cage when the does are due to have and raise their young and for weanlings.

4. 2horses

Now, who to buy from? I've found several web sites that seem to have comparable prices - does anyone have a recommendation on who makes the best cages? Here are the ones I've found so far - Bass Equipment, Quality Cages and Da-Mar's. I'm looking specifically at 36X30, with urine guards and the plastic DuraTray. Da-Mar's has that for $65.90. Thoughts?

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Back when my kids had pet 'house' rabbits, we built their cages, somewhat like I build for my angoras now. 1 x 2 woven wire sides, 1 x 1/2 floor, J clipped together. We would find a plastic container about 4-6 inches deep, of a size that worked, build the cage to fit it, and had a small frame to set the cage on, over the plastic container. We used clumping cat litter in the box. Waste from the bunnies fell through, just like my hanging cages now, and we could scoop the litter, so it was an easy clean-up.

On retrospect, if we were doing it again, I'd probably have a worm bin under the bunnies! :haha:

I haven't a clue about purchasing a cage, so decided to offer this information, in case it was any use to you.

Meg :)

6. Kumi_Ori

Kumi_Ori Active Member

I have been using "Bass" cages. I like them for the doors that swing up and in and the hanger that holds the door up, the door latch is simple and even if you forget to latch it the door is still closed. I do make it a habit to check all the latches before I leave the rabbirty every time! I also like "Bass" for the edges of the wire, all edges are smooth and around the door each wire is cut and then turned back on itself so you have a rounded end that won't catch you or your rabbit when you take him out. In the larger cages they include a "floor spreader" which is a metal rod that runs under the center of the floor to give it support so it does not sag. I have had other cages that have the plastic edge guards on them but the rabbits chew them and pull them off rendering them useless in my mind. I much prefer the way that bass does the door frame.
    As for keeping your boys together, they will be fine for a while but plan on separating them. Bass sells a 36"x24" that has 2 compartments (18x24). If you get does you can get the same size cage to raise them in and just purchase a leg kit to stack them or build your own. The does will need larger cages is they are going to raise litters in them. I raise Rex so I know the attraction to the fur!! I love mine and wouldn't trade them for anything. Also, you will need a resting board for them as rex fur can be thin on the hocks causing "sore hocks" if you are not careful. Most of the equipment dealers sell "Relax Resting Boards" or "Mighty Mats" that allow urine and feces to pass through and are easy to clean. Good luck.

7. 2horses

I wound up going with the 36X30 from Da-Mar. I also ordered 3 of the plastic rest pads, as well as the pliers to put it all together. It should be here by the end of the week, hopefully! I need the space - they're growing so fast!