Try a brood mare

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Boleyz, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Hi Tina!
    If you've got an aversion to meat (I've had to quit most of it due to ill cardiac health), Why not get a brood mare? They're pretty cheap to buy (unless yo go for "bloodlines") and you can usually find a good racking mare for around $1000.00. They can produce a foal every year (gestation is 11 months) and as long as you feed them hay and grain, they do fine on a small paddock. Besides, you can even ride the thing if it suits you. If you breed locally to a reliable stud (Stud fees can run from $0.00 - $1,000,000,000 depending on the "Bloodlines" and the disposition of the owner), I've found that I've rarely paid more than $100.00 to get my mares serviced. If you want to have a sellable foal, I'd recommend you breed for Color and conformation. People around KY seem to love the Paint look and the saddleback blacks and whites or sorrel/white. I've got a mare that's probably the stupidest thing that God ever put hair on, but she has a blaze, 4 white stockings and a white splash on her sorrel rump. Everybody tries to buy her because of her color/markings. Also, handle your foals from the day of birth on so that they're imprinted and gentle toward humans...that's another good selling point.

2. margo

margo Well-Known Member

3. Boleyz

I posted it in the wrong place...first try... thanks for your support...

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Must be a Canadan posting eh??

mikell

5. Boleyz

What's a Canadan? Is that like, Dan in a Can or what? No, I just joined the site yesterday and acidentally started a new thread. I was trying to respond to the lady who wanted to know what she could raise for profit on her 2 acre patch of ground. I actually wouldn't have Canada if you offered it to me. Thanks for your wit.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Oh! I SEE! She does not want to raise meat animals, hence the broodmare!

You had me going for a few minutes there! :haha:

7. Kevin and Laura

Kevin and Laura Well-Known Member

Me too!! We all have done this, but thanks for the early morning chuckle! I was thinking, "Boy, these people are going to tear this poster UP!"

Laura

8. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Startled me too! I thought you were suggesting raising horses for :eek: meat

9. torade

torade Well-Known Member

How much do you sell the foal for?
    Buying the broodmare may be cheap but with all the expensies of getting her bred (sometimes takes multiple trys) then caring for her the 11 months and then caring for the foal until you have a buyer, would add up to alot of money (Not to mention the labor). Plus with horses (gaited esp.) you never have a guarantee that you'll get the color and gait you want.
    I'm not knockin it, just would like to know more about it.

10. Boleyz

When you pay a breeding fee, it's pretty well understood that you're paying for a live foal. If the breeding doesn't stick, or the foal dies before term, everyone I've ever dealt with will re-breed your mare at no charge. Caring for a mare is no big deal. They need hay, a little grain, water and some shelter from the wind. Most weaned foals will bring between $800 - $1000 depending on their markings/health/ancestry.

Again, this ain't no big pile of cash, but the lady I was trying to suggest this to said she had 2 acres with goats and chickens. She was looking for a large animal or 2 she could raise for profit. That's why I said, "Try a brood mare"

11. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
  12. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

[​IMG]