trumpet vine

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Nov 7, 2005.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

the ad for the trumpet vine seeds say you can grow it up a fence or trellis, as a groundcover or as a bush....anyone know HOW you would train it to be a bush?

2. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

hi,

i don't have personal experiance w/ the buxh form. I believe I have seen it once. It was very unique. I would think you would train in up a pole and keep it to one main stem and keep it pruned into shape. When the main trunk was sturdy enough the pole could be removed. i would also think it would take a lot of pruning. I would be pretty. i will look around and see if I can't find more info. Katharine

3. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

I have one Ive been training to "bush" form for four years now. Its realy more like trellacing a grape vine than a true bush. Even with the main stalk 2in in diam. it still needs to be staked to a steel T post to avoid falling over. I top it at about 6ft to keep it full and bushy.

I started by choosing a strong strait vine out of a tangle of wild vines. I staked the vine and trimmed it to three feet leaving several lateral spurs about six inches long up the length. I did this in early spring while the vine was still dormant.I left the plant alone during the growing season exept for cutting back all the suckers at the base.
    The next spring I chose the best vine from the pev. years growth near the top of the 2 year old wood. That was brought to the top of the 6ft stake. And once again trimmed all the laterals to 6in or so spurs.

Now that I have the height I want I trim all the top growth to spurs leaving more of the downward growing vines and removing those with upright growth. Still spuring the laterals every spring.
    What I have looks like a weeping cherry type of thing after pruning. But as the laterals fill in it takes on a fuller bushy look.

4. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

where do you get trumpet vine seed? It grows wild around here, and I didn't know anyone sold it. It is becoming scarce with all the construction. (Building like crazy in this town unfortuantely) I would love to have some. Our hummers love it!
    Cindyc.

5. suelandress

I bought mine on ebay :)

KRH....has flowering been affected by your procedure?

6. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

The bush was just loaded with flowers this year. More actualy than I have ever had from this wild growing variety. The majority of the flowers are produced from the crown but the laterals push some as well.

7. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I have extra seed . let me know if you would like some. enogh for 3 people. sorry I dont have more

8. suelandress

What color do you have Bob?

9. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

im told its orange. from the wild plants in iowa

10. suelandress

I have some yellows coming (paypal payment pending :) ) if you'd like to swap a half dozen or so. Do you know if they come in any other colors?