Trumpet vine seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mamabear, Oct 29, 2004.

1. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

I collected some trumpet vine seeds today. I was wondering if anyone has started them from seeds or just from starts. I know there are some seeds that have to be scored or softened before planting. Are trumpet vines one of those, or can I just plant them?
    Thank you for your help.
    mamabear

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Trumpet vines grow wild where I live. I found the following information on a site (there's more on the link at the bottom)
    The trumpet vine is very easy to grow, since it is native in so many parts of our country. I would let the seed fall to the ground naturally and normally. Let it winter over with a little soil over the seeds. Do not forget to pop the seeds form the pod. The pods should be mature and brittle and easy to open. When spring comes, cultivate the area and make sure you water so the seeds will germinate.

http://www.emilycompost.com/trumpet_vine.htm

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I have had them fall to the ground naturally and start all sorts of seedlings which I can than transplant in the summer after they have gotten a good start.

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Is anyone willing to mail me a few Trumpet Vine seeds?

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

For the first time in at least 12 years, our trumpet vine has produced seeds.
    tallpines, if you would still like some, I can mail them to you.

6. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer!

Gayle in Ky gathered some seeds for me and mailed them---last fall.
    I wintered them in my fridge and planted them this spring with no luck.

Then in June we traveled to Virginia----and Pennsyvannia-----and I bought a couple of plants for $4.00 each------in Intercourse, Penn.

I hope they will be making an appearrence next spring after our cold Wisconsin winter.

If you are willing, I would love some more seeds to try------I have an archway that would look so nice laden down with Trumpet Vine blossoms.