Truckload 'o free food!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by buspete, Jan 4, 2007.

1. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

Talk about a windfall!

We got a call from someone in our local homeschool group that a friend of a friend had a truckload of produce to give away. There was ice damage to the first crate of vegetables that the people at the terminal saw when they opened up the truck, and since there wasn't a USDA inspector on hand to further investigate the load, the entire truckload of food was condemned as an insurance claim. Of course, this guy needed his truck to haul stuff the next day, so the food was all offloaded onto pallets on the ground and word went out for people to please come and get whatever they could haul before it went bad.

We came home with a pickup load of food with the idea of salvaging some of it and feeding the pigs with rest. As we unloaded the crates, we found that it is all perfectly good food with minimal spoilage. It appears that the only damage in the whole tractor-trailer was the first crate that you see when the door was opened.

We came home with:

-10 crates of butter-and-sugar corn (I think it is 4 doz to a crate?)

-7 cartons of strawberries

-3 crates of fresh mint

-2 crates of fresh cilantro

-3 crates of fresh dill

-2 cartons of radishes, in plastic bags

-1 crate of fresh radishes in bunches

-1 crate of green leaf lettuce (2 dozen heads)

We dispersed as much as we could to neighbors and friends who shared the wealth with their friends and neighbors. We are all busily drying, canning and freezing stuff. Herbs are being dried, corn frozen with shucks going to pigs, lettuce eaten ASAP. Strawberries are being turned into jam, frozen and dried (and of course being gobbled up fresh).

Nobody is quite sure what to do with all the radishes. We'll put them in every salad and the pigs will get the rest. Any suggestions?

If there is anyone in my area (in NH, near Bellows Falls VT) who wants some corn, lettuce strawberries, herbs or radishes that would otherwise have one to waste, PM me and get your canner fired up. It stored in my unheated garage at the moment, and will only last a short time and still be fresh.

The whole thing is a pretty good example of why supermarket prices are so high. Sure the insurance company pays for the goods, but in the end, it's the consumer who pays the cost because of higher insurance rates on the goods. There were upwards of $20,000 worth of Strawberries alone that were condemned because one crate of radishes was damaged.

One thing is for sure, we are certainlty appreciative of our windfall, tonight we had the neighbors over for a feast!

2. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

What a wonderful treat!! Looks like you will be busy putting up stuff over the next few days. Strawberry preserves sound great right about now!

3. buspete

It's kind of like the conversation about "shrimp" in the movie Forrest Gump...

Strawberry jam, strawberry ice cream, strawberry shortcake, dried strawberries for trail mix, oatmeal with strawberries, strawberries-n-grits, and, for desert, a big bowl of strawberries and whipped cream!

I just got finished hanging up most of the herbs to dry. There's one more little crate of mint left, and I'll have to rig up another cord to hang it from.

A friend wants some to dye cloth with, and we are frantically looking for a recipie for mint jelly that doesn't contain so much sugar. Even if Maggie is coming to get some to dye with, it can't stay in the box because it will get yucky and slimy, so I'm going to at least hang it up to keep it dry.

I'll be heading back upstairs soon, I've got an appointment with a bowl of strawberries and whipped cream...

4. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Wow!!! Good for you.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had similar benefit from my brother who is a truck driver! Not any delicious strawberries though....but spaghetti sauce, onions and high end maple syrup!

6. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

one time we were headed home from somewhere and heard over the cb about a trucker having spaghetti saude to sell. It just so happened to be the brand we loved. We stopped and bought several cases. lasted us forever. Wish i could come on another deal like that!

7. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

My son drives longhaul for a produce company and your right that they condemn a whole pallet if any is damaged. He has to haul the damaged produce back to the warehouse and the owner feeds it to his livestock. If they have a crate load of food (an order is usually all crated together) and they have extra of any items, he get to take that item home. He's come home with quite a number of cheese cakes and bags of sausage.

Bobg

8. Timedess

Timedess Guest

Oh, wow- YUM!!! We had a neighbor whose dh had a truck repair shop; every once in a while he'd come home with a pickup load of something and they'd share with us. Once it was mustard greens (my first taste of them- yum!), another time it was potatoes! What a wonderful windfall!

9. dragonfly65

dragonfly65 Well-Known Member

You can boil or steam radishes and they taste a little like asparagus. I have to salt mine good. You can try them that way and if you don't like them, give em to the pigs.

10. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Cheesecake? Now that's a dream come true. Lucky you!

11. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

While this maybe a windfall for you for you say a prayer for the poor trucker who will likely have to pay for it all at retail from hiss less than minumum wage that he will not lose his job over it.

12. buspete

Nope, it's an insurance job. Most commercial freight is insured against damage, theft, trucks crashing, ships sinking etc.

13. buspete

Does that mean that they can be frozen after they are cooked? We've been eating them in salads every day, but they can only last so long... The fresh ones with the leafs tied up in bundles are faring better than the ones in plastic bags, which are starting to sweat a bit.

Tonight my neighbor Lousie took the last crate of mint home to make mint jelly. With a dozen jars of homemade jelly, I gotta head to the auction to get a lamb to eat it with!

14. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

LOL even though that may be true it dosent change what I said. What makes you think the company didnt take it out on the driver? Happens all the time.

15. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

My husband used to drive a truck for farm fresh. Once in a while something would happen....load locks came loose once and he lost half a truck load of milk! Things happen! It wasn't taken out on my husband for having a broken load lock that got missed when the loading guys were doing their thing! It is great that someone could use the produce! DH was never allowed to take any milk home even if it was a leaker. I would LOVE to have an abundance of strawberries, potatoes, lettuce, herbs, etc... What a lovely blessing!