Trucking In Relief Supplies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ChiliPalmer, Sep 4, 2005.

1. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

The Biloxi newspaper somehow managed to put out an edition today, wherein they reamed support services a new one and begged for some sort of help. The mayor of Marksville put out a plea online for anyone who could manage it to truck in basic supplies, as the Red Cross was so busy being overwhelmed in the big cities that they couldn't get to small towns like Marksville. It's been nearly a week and little coastal towns in Mississippi and Louisiana are still struggling on their own to provide basic neccessities of life - like water. Disease is breaking out in shelters from lack of any sort of sanitation or even water in which to wash hands.

You could call me crazy (and you'd be right) but I'm filling a truck with supplies and taking it in myself. There's a fellow outside of Pensacola who is checking gas availability and functioning roads for me right now. I plan to load up and drive as far as I can while still having enough gas to get back out. So far it looks like Pensacola will be my staging area to jump off from (last safe harbor west on I-10, so to speak).

I could use some help brainstorming how to fill the truck. I've financed the trip just fine but it's a really big truck and I hate to go out there with only half a load. I announced the trip last night at work and my co-workers gave generously. I had money myself to pay for supplies. I tried asking Publix to allow me to park in their parking lot with a sign but they refused. I tried calling the local radio stations and either 1) couldn't get ahold of them or 2) was referred to the station director, who is unavailable. I even called the local news (felt like an idiot but at least I did it) and they said they would pass it on to the producers and get back to me. I'm on hold with Wal-Mart right now to ask if they'll let me hand out flyers, and I'm about to just throw my hands up and park the truck in a shopping plaza near a main drag with a big old sign, like churches do for car washes (called churches too and can't get anyone at all).

Any ideas?

2. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Can you find a few churches along your route, let them know what you are doing, and tell them you'll haul what they can have assembled waiting for your arrival?

Perhaps somebody from a local branch of a particular church can do the organizing.

BTW, what you are doing is really great.

Lynda

3. Muskrat

Muskrat Well-Known Member

It's an awkward time, Sunday afternoon on a holiday weekend.

Get your local paper. Go to church announcements and look for the names of people who participate in events, not the minister. Call them. Explain what you're doing--many churches have Sunday evening services and they may be able to do something tonight.

Check to see who's having evening services and drive there. Tell people what you're doing and see what they can come up with.

Check the names of the President of the Chamber of Commerce, the Lions' Club, the Women's Clubs--any name in the paper associated with a non-profit group.

4. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

A guy here in Beaufort put an ad in the paper and said he was going into MS and would take donations,he filled his truck and is leaving in a few days.

We are trying to find some way to help out and our little town has 'adopted' the town of Long Beach MS and is trying to get supplies in as well as volunteers.

Good luck and there is a website somewhere that gives the road conditions in MS/LA.

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

WTG ChiliPalmer.Its us neighborly citizens that can,will and DO get the job done NOW,when its desperately needed.Have a safe trip and Godspeed.You will succeed famously,folks are looking to donate goods and just need a source to give them to.

THANK YOU!!!!

BooBoo

6. ChiliPalmer

Well, we got the job done. The sandwich assembly line is in full swing and we're up to 90 bagged sandwiches so far (only 410 more to go... *groan*). We've got water, flashlights and batteries, Pedialyte, apples, juice, Tylenol, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, epsom salts, gauze strips and gauze pads, bandages, Pepto-Bismol, bug spray, hand sanitizers, Chem-Lights and little packs of chewing gum for the kids. About a gross of each, or thereabouts. The only thing that disappoints me is that I wasn't able to get baby formula. I have a contact in Pensacola who found available gas in Mobile so I should be able to make it in and out just fine.

Everyone cross your fingers for me. I'll check back in when I get home sometime tomorrow night.

7. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

ChiliPalmer,

thank you from all of my heart for doing this. I am contributing money from up here but it's great to hear from someone that is doing something directly.

Beaux

8. ChiliPalmer

Got back home at a quarter past four in the morning. I'm exhausted and still chugging coffee. Will type out a report as soon as supper's done - there's so much to say. To sum it all up in three words or less... "Sweet baby Jesus." Now thinking out how soon I can get another truck through.

9. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Thank you, Chilipalmer. Thos of us who live too far away to provide practical help appreciate what you did.

10. dot

dot Well-Known Member

Please come back and tell us the rest of the story!

11. ChiliPalmer

I put it over in Gen Chat. Wasn;t sure I had the right forum here, being as it doesn't have a darned thing to do with a homestead.

12. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Several churches in our town have started drives for people to bring in canned food, drink, health supplies, cleaning supplies, etc. At least 1 tractor trailer is on it's way to Louisiana, and there are at least 2 or more trucks scheduled to be filled and leave tonight. We are a small town of about 6000 people, but the local Christian radio station has mentioned the 2 drop off points and people are going and buying stuff and dropping items off.

Help is on the way!

13. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Our town ha sput on hold sending people down as Ophelia is sitting off th e coast and they didn't want people far way from home if it hit here.

We will be going down next weekend hopefully and our town will be helping out Long Beach Miss.

Seven police Officers from here just got back from Gulfport helping out down there,said it was like a nuke went off...