Truck Weight capacity

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Mark Williams, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Mark Williams

Mark Williams New Guy

I'm the new proud papa of a 62 Chevy 60 dumptruck. I dont quite understand how trucks are rated.

The tag on the inside panel says the gross weight is 19,600. The truck weighs 9600 so that leaves 5 tons for carry capacity. Why is this called a 2 ton truck ?

Mark

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Im just guessing but I think the "2 ton" designation mainly refers to the frame size. Carry capacity can vary according to axles and wheels on the frame. Sort of like how a Ford F-250 is called a "3/4 ton" but the ones with dual rear wheels can carry more than the single rear wheel models. There should be a "GVWR" (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)

3. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Do not know what it really means but have heard those designations all my life. I would not tag it for over 26,000 lbs or you will have to have a Commercial Drivers License(CDL) to legally operate it. Legally you cannot haul over the GVW(gross vehicle weight). DMV is a pain in the underside when they start writing tickets. You might want to give them a shout for clarification on any questions. Get the name,date, and dept that you talk to for future "get off the hook" help. It won't help but will make you fee better to be right. Last time they got me the bill was a bit over $1,100. They get serious about protecting and serving us(service-what a bull does to an "in season" cow).
    Congrats on your purchase-only problem-it's a Chevy(just messing with you). If you need parts and are close I have a couple just sitting. All mine are Ford and Mack.

4. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

to my understanding it is a carry over from the military, and it would "be the cross country" or off hi-way load limit.

my one ton truck has a factory rating of gwv of 10,000 pounds and will easily carry 5000 on it, (it has the duel rear wheels), hi-way, it weight is about 6000.

Dads old 1 1/2 ton ford, we carried 160 bushels of wheat on all the time, or 10,000 pounds, on the road.

my old Military 6x6 2 1/2 ton, truck has a cross country rating of 5000, or a hi-way rating of of cargo (on the brass emblem on dash) and 10000 on hi-way, the normal load on hi-way I put on it is , about 15000.
    but if I was out trooping through the tulles 5000 pounds would be max to protect the old 6x6 truck.

as the "ton rating" would be a good load in a off road condition on any of the trucks, and normally about double or a little more for hi-way conditions,

(and the GWV of the manufacture is more based on it braking ability (size of brake drums and such) than on the load carrying capacity of the axel, not that any of them are going to greatly over size any thing, but my son was in the process of building a trailer and he could get (I think the information is correct, but don't quote me on the weight capacity but will work for illustration) the 7000 and 9000 axel and the only difference was the brake size, and again on the 10,000 and 12,000 trailer axel was the brake drum size,