Truck trouble

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

GAHHHHH!

2005 Silverado, 16K miles on it, all light-duty commuting to and from work. Flat country. No hills. It doesn't even have a hitch installed. It's never carried more than 6 bales of hay because if I order more than that, I have the feed store deliver. NO hard work. And it's had an ongoing issue where the ABS engages at freeway speeds when braking.

Front brakes and rotors are burned. My regular mechanic told me to take it to the dealership as he suspects an underlying problem with the ABS causing the rotors to burn up.

Dealership tells me "they highly doubt" that there's anything mechanical wrong with the car, the burnt rotors are due to driving style. (Nevermind that I've got over 150K miles on my last truck regularly pulling a trailer -- with rotors in good condition.)

AND THEY'VE LOST MY KEYS. Actually, they're swearing that the car was dropped off without keys. GAH. I'm furious, to say the least. I've got a car with an obvious brake problem that they refuse to even look into and they lost my keys!

Leva

2. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

When you get home put a little classified in the newspaper that asks people to contact you who have had their keys disappear at this dealership. I would be curious as if this was regular occurance.

3. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

At 16,000 easy miles those brakes should be almost like new. Your driving style is NOT the problem since nothing similar happened with previous vehicle. It sounds like caliper / rotor problems (or ABS?). The dealership is ducking responsibility. Did you buy the vehicle from them? Can you try another dealer?

4. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

I second the reccomendation to visit a different dealer.

5. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Eh. I put on my "I've-worked-in-customer-service-for-ten-years-and-I-know-how-to-get-things-done!" tone of voice.

They found the keys. And my truck, which had temporarily gone AWOL as well -- this was learned when they asked me where I'd parked it and I said, "in the customer parking" and they said, "No truck there." I'm being charitable and assuming a mechanic took it for a test drive and didn't tell anyone.

Turns out I had a bad vaccuum booster that was intermittently causing trouble.This apparently explained the symptoms it was having involving the ABS engaging at freeway speeds. The dealership is properly apologetic. It remains to be seen if the problem is resolved but at least they're taking me more seriously.

Leva