truck title

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ohiosteve, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

I recently bougt an old International truck. It came with the original title as all
    numbers match the data plate. The problem is the previous owner's signiture was not notarized at time of sale. The local notary public is not willing to process this as the previous owner is not present.I bought it from out of state and never even met the previous owner. Is there a legal way to proceed here?
    Thanks!

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

That's different....in Minnesota we don't need the notarized signature of the seller when transferring a title. The seller doesn't have to be present at the state office when the transfer is made either.

Guess, I'm not much help.

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

You might try getting the original seller to have the person who witnessed his signature to sign a statement about that witnessing and have that statement notarized.

4. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

Try another notary public. I've never heard of requiring signatures on a title to be notarized. We don't have that requirment in Virginia, anyway.

If worst came to worst, you could sell it to a friend in a non-notarizing state for $1 (just mail the title, don't ship the truck). Then he notarizes his signature and sells the truck back to you for $1. Voila! You then have the notarized signature of the previous owner. The whole thing costs you $2 plus stamps.

-Jack

5. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

WV doesn't require a notarized signature nor does NJ. I don't think PA does either but I could be mistaken. That means you could go to an adjacent state where you have relatives or friends and use their address to transfer title to you in that state. Then take the title in your name back to Ohio and transfer it.

Otherwise I think you're going to have to locate and get the original owner to sign in the presence of a notary.

6. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Why are you going to a notary to process the title. Doesn't your state have a motor vehicle division? Something doesn't seem right here, perhaps the notary is mistaken.

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Every state is different. My brother bought a pickup in Mississippi several years ago and all he got was a bill of sale. Indiana requires a title with the signature noterized unless you sign it in the license bureau. You are also required to sign a statement stating the miles shown on the odometer, and if that is the true milage.
    We also have to have a title for any boat, homemade trailer, or anything else that is required to have a state license. They don't want anything to slip past the tax collecter. Plus titles are a profit maker.

8. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

Thanks folks! I knew I could get some good answers here. I have a brother in WV that could help me around this problem. All I know is that the Dept. of Motor
    Vehicles in my county all got A's when they went to bureaucrat school. They require a title notarized with the buyers and sellers signature on it.

9. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Maybe not, they probably have a provision to prevent Title washing. Might even be a crime. Might have to go through the entire process of getting a Title in that other state and do a transfer in Ohio. Will surely be more than $2. Which can open an entire new can of worms. Like proof that Sales Tax was paid, many states are set up to collect minimum amounts on Titles no matter the value of the car. Ma even has a provision that you must transfer Title within 10 days of the sale and pay all the fees, no matter if you register / license the car of not. Love to hit you with fines and more fees. Insurance don't even ask, dealing with the Mafia is more pleasant, they only break your legs. :D

Is Ohio one of those states that requires inspection of the VIN in the car and matching that to the paperwork before you even can get in the door to get a new Title or start the paperwork?? Couple of states I lived in had that, Hawaii was one, real pain, had to go to a gas station and they took a rubbing of the VIN number on this special paper thingee. I am moving to Ohio in a couple months so have been researching some of the in's / out's of what might be required.

MA is the real bastard of the bunch, very difficult to ever make them leave go of you. Must actually return the plates to the State, before you can cancel your insurance and if you don't they can bill forever for excise tax, even if you are gone. Is a legal bill they can collect. All of them seem to have some way to snag you.

MA doesn't have the notary thing. So many other loops to jump thru you never could get any car on the road. :haha:

Would think Steve the best solution would be go to the county courthouse and ask the MVD what you need to do. Those folks probably also have former KGB people employed, provided MA didn't hire them all. :rolleyes:

10. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I bought it from out of state and never even met the previous owner.

I'm confused. Whom did you buy it from? Didn't they have clear title?

Worst case scenero you can apply for lost title and go from there. Here in NC title stuff cost big bucks and has a mountain of paperwork. :no:

Kenneth in NC

11. dreadstalker

dreadstalker Well-Known Member

check your states requirements on both mechanic and storage titles.some states also authorize sherrifs titles

12. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

As noted, all states are different. When we lived in CA, no notarizations were needed, but we now live in Ohio, as do you where they notarized signatures are required. However, we had a situation somewhat similar when we lived in CA. My dad bought a trailer for my husband and I, but there was some problem like that with the title. When I called DMV there was an easy solution to the problem. I would call BMV, either local, or state office, explain the problem, and see what procedures they have in place for that situation.

13. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

What a nuisance! Makes a nice earner for the notaries I suppose. In Maryland you fill in the miles, write in the price, both sign, then buyer takes it to MVA for tags and registration. Can't imagine having to fit an appointment with a notary into all of that.

14. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

That was how it was when we were in CA. It was a bit of a shock when we moved to Ohio and found out all the signatures had to be notarized. On the other hand, trailers don't have titles here.

15. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

I would guess the Notaries have a stonger lobby in Ohio...
    Sounds like just another profit maker...

16. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

Do you have a bill of sale ?
    You might call teh title office and ask about what is nessecary for applying for a lost title ... and then conviently loose the title you have (they would keep it anyway if you transfered ) just tel them that the title got lost in mail or destroyed, or went through teh wash in your coat pocket (happened in this household once)etc
    you might find a friend who is a notary and have them do it for you ....a jar of home made jam goes along way .. no not legal , but done all teh time in Ohio ..
    I know this from experience with two teen age sons , and a spouse who "collects " projects ....
    Quite often teh two parties cannot get together during buisness hours of teh public notory , like at bank or car dealership , or even title office ....and for a beater vehical who is going to take time off work to do it ?
    Its a pain in the behind ...
    Just last week one of my boys bought a 300 $ pick up from a neighbor across the road , he signed his half ... took a week to catch up with the other neighbor up the street who is notory ... I signed my half ( the truck actually went under the company name ) ... went to title office did all teh resulting goverment rigamarole .... actually the truck was a ranger .. new enough to require E check .... got around that one too .. upgraded truck weight to 1 ton commercial when I registered it for plates ..sure plates are more expensive but got around having to give money to out of state company who has the liscence for E check .... sigh ....

Also Trailers in Ohio do have to have titles , at least mine do , now maybe little tag alongs dont or there is a weight class of trailers that might not
    but if its plated as far as I know it needs a title ....no tickee no washee....
    Now if its a home made jobbie or something that will get towed along by a tractor a SMV sign will do .

17. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

The differences between states sure can be annoying, especially in a tri-state region such as mine.

I had a utility trailer built by a well known trailer company many years ago, had it registered all of those years in one state that does not title trailers. When I moved here, I tried to register it in this state and was told I needed a title.

I applied for a title, submitting my out of state registration and original purchase receipt. I was issued a tag. A few weeks later I received a letter that my title application was rejected because of a lack of a certificate of origin, and they didn't even have the decency return my original receipt and other paperwork.

I contacted the manufacturer and they said that they cannot retroactively issue me a certificate of origin. The only way I can title and register this utility trailer now is to lie and say I built it, stamp my own VIN# on it, have it weighed, and apply for a builders title.

I've been using it without a tag for years now and none of the law around here seems to care. Then again, a few people still drive cars without tags around here and get away with it.

The last late model van I bought off of auction, they tried to make me pay taxes on book value, which was more than 3 times what I paid. The government issued receipt was not notorized, so it was not good enough for them to accept. I had to go to a notary and get it notorized along with an affidavit in order to finally get it done.

Bob