Truck question??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wolf mom, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I just got title to abandoned 1993 nissan 4 X 4, 5 speed. Pretty beat up, but perfect to use around a farm & to haul trash to the dump. :)

The driver's door won't open. Something inside the inside door latch is broken, plus the plastic handle on the outside is broken off.

Ouestion: Would it be cheaper to get a used door from a junk yard (are they available? I'd have to go 3 hours away to do this...) & have someone put the new/used door on, or go to a repair shop (body repair?) & have them take the door apart & fix the latch & handle? Is it worth it?? Any idea of costs?

I'm asking, as I have absolutely no idea what's involved in doing any of this.

I don't think I can do this myself, plus the speaker is in the door (radio sort'a works) & now I'd be getting into wiring :shrug:

I sure look like a pretzel climbing over the floor shifts, getting my clothes caught... :rolleyes:

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................Probably be cheaper to procure a whole door than individual pieces . There is probably only two hinges with bolts to mount\dismount and any body man should beable to adjust door for proper alignment so you can Ingress\Egress without spilling your coca cola . You might also want to consider having all fluids and filters changed to start off with . Fuel filter , oil filter , air filter . Preventative maintenance is always a given if you care about your vehicle , even one such as this truck . fordy... :)

3. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Thanks, Fordy.

Just tried to roll the window down - got it stuck 1/4 of the way...

Will do the fluids - I know it smokes oil, but what the hey - for hauling trash, etc... I'm happy.

I just want to be able to get in & out. I think it's got a lot of miles left yet with care.

4. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

For a vehicle to be used around the property I would consider simply removing the door. That's cheaper and easier than the alternatives.

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

It would most likely be cheapest to find a back yard mechanic or a small garage some where.This is a simple problem most any mechanic can easily fix.Most likely a plastic clip that retains a rod has broken or just simply let the rod pop off.
    You can get junk yard parts like you broken handle from Auto Zone now.And they will have any type of clips it might use in stock.The rod may be blocking the window track which is whats keeping the window from coming down.

I would however contact a junk yard just to compare the price with what a mechanic would charge.The door would cost around 50 bucks here.You could probably replace the door your self.But you'd first have to get your open.That might be tricky as i dought you can get the door panel off when it that tight against the seat.Hum might be able to slide your hand inside enough though.
    The speaker in the door is no problem.It should have simple plug ins on the wires and there often different sizes so you cant mix them up.Regardless the wires are color coded.

Sounds like ya got a good deal!

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............One addendum...and I'm assuming that you will license , tag and insure this vehicle , I'd have a competent mechanic check the brake system very carefully and FIX any and all problems that he discerns . You may not have too go fast but You , sure , might , have TOO stop Fast !!!!! fordy... :)