Truck problem.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ardie/WI, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

This is Roger:

I have a 1990 F-150, 302, 2 wheel drive, fuel injected. Recently the engine will stop running. When I try and start it again, it will turn over but not start. If the vehicle sits for a period of time ( has varied from a day to 15 minutes), it will start fine, run for 5 minutes then shut down again. I can repeat this cycle time and again. The only thing I have done is replaced the fuel filter.

Any ideas??

2. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

sounds like the distibutor pick-up. little black box mounted on the distibutor housing. held on with 2 screws and 1 wire conect. price one at the junkyard and give it a try if it aint to expensive.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Next time after the engine dies and you try to start it again, turn the key only part way and listen for the fuel pump. If you don't hear the fuel pump "whine" and the engine doesn;t start, perhaps you have an intermittent fuel pump problem.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I am with ponyboy, it is the pickup on the distributor. On my '89 farm truck I have to replace the item about every 3 years. You will need an odd size nut driver to get the fasteners off. Maybe a 7/32"

5. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

The problem with these questions is there is never enough info given, then someone will say oh yea it's this with no way of knowing if it is that or not. FYI the pick up is inside the distributor, the control module is bolted to the side of the distributor. End of rant.

First thing you need to find out after if dies. Is it getting spark at the plugs? Second question, is it getting fuel? Most of the time one of these two things is lacking. After you determin what it is missing you can go from there.

At the other end it could be getting too much of something as well. Such as too much fuel.

There are just too many reasons an engine will not run. Without more info and testing it is impossible to say that it is one thing. Could be a good guess but you could also throw a lot of parts at it before you find it. Better to do some testing and be sure. I was an ASE certified tech and a Ford certified tech for a number of years before I got out of the field. I speak from lots of years working on cars.

Good luck, hope I can help more when you have more info.
    Buck

6. Ardie/WI

Hello Mr. Fever - The last time it stopped, I did hear the fuel pump whine, and yes it does when move the key towards the start. I suspect something electrical. You always hope someone says 'yup, same thing happened to me.' I am lazing and trying to cut down on as much fartin' around on it than I have to. Thanks for the input. Roger

7. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

If yours has a coil feel it and see if it is hot after it cuts off. Most of the time that is the problem. Sometimes they will just die-had one do it crossing a long river bridge near Charlotte,NC. Had just enough speed to coast off the end and out of traffic.

8. Ardie/WI

Roger had a major crisis or two at work so he was not able to work on the truck and we needed it fixed for the weekend. We use it to transport my electric cart and without it, I'm sunk! We had it fixed by a neighbor who does this when he is well enough. He had a liver transport.

It was an ignition control module on the outside of the distributor. Is that what ponyboy posted about...not sure as I'm not mechanically inclined.

Want to say thank you to those who offered suggestions.

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

That is what Ponyboy stated!