truck or van?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by travis91, Nov 29, 2005.

1. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

so do you guys drive a truck or a van? what do and don't you like? if you own one would you like to own the other? what are the advantage and disadvantage of both?

2. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

i've had both and they each have their pros and cons. i prefer the truck with a camper shell. i've often had items too big to fit into my van, that always had a way of ruining my day. the truck can let the weather get to your cargo. that is why i reached my preferance, if i need to haul something large, i can just take off the shell and go about my business.

3. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I got two vans and two trailers. Best of both worlds. Once you put the stuff in the van its locked and dry. With the trailers you don't have to worry a whole lot about trashing the truck and they hold a lot more. i've had vans since 1970. Check the price on vans compared to pickups and you'll find their a lot cheaper. Don't know why but they are?

Dave

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i went thru this same scenario, and so i put down a priority sheet in excell.

Across the top i had "Car, Truck, SUV, Van"
    Down the bottom I had "Price, cargo, sleep, 4wd, mpg, etc"

Then I based everything on a 5 point scale, 1 bad, 5 best. Once you point everything out, add up the totals and see who wins.

I like the option of being able to sleep in my car, the van won hands down for that of course, but overall, the truck had the best overall average score, and eventually finished a few points higher than the van, and thats because trucks are easier to find in 4wd.

I'd prefer a van some days, and a truck on others. I figured a truck with topper would be the best of both worlds.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My father was a stickler for having a cap on a truck. Capped trucks make the worst vans ever! LOL We have both but if I had to choose I'd pick the van. It is a one ton with 16inch 8 bolt rims and it rides like a one ton truck. I can slide full sheets of plywood or drywall inside and it stays dry and secure, it has a frame hitch for a trailer the odd time I need more height or greater payload. It is a full window van so visability is terrific. Vans have a wider wheelbase. I could wish mine was 4x4 but being a heavy vehicle I don't really miss the extra traction. The thing I find is driving the truck you have all that useless sheet metal sticking out in front, I don't take a truck into the city by choice. Driving the van downtown is easy, and I can spin it around the local lumber yard much easier too. They all have a place and we have trucks cars SUV's and a van to choose from, but the last one I'll give up would be the van.

6. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

It all depends on what you require from a vehicle. For example, a landscaper would be better served by a pickup - an electrician by a van.

I'd agree that you'll get far more vehicle for your money in a van, especially full-size vans. For whatever reason, there is not much demand for the larger vans - which brings the price down.

cheers,

7. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

I agree each one has it's advatanges... I also think if there were more heavy duty diesel 4x4 vans around I would of thought more seriously about one this time...
    Over the years I haved owned 4 of each... Vans sure are handy to sleep in...
    But hauling wood and garbage in a van is a DRAG...

8. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I'll agree with the 'It depends on what your requirements are' sentiment.

We've owned both ... and won't ever own another van. Their handling - or should I say, the lack thereof - on the many gravel roads in the area is the number one reason for that decision.
    The last van we had hated snow and and anything less than dry pavement - I had to pull it out of ditches more than once when my aunt "parked it" there. (She's handled tractor-trailers and knows how to drive.) My pickup holds the roads really well ... and it takes a deliberate effort on my part to make it slide on loose gravel.

9. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I'll admit a van is pretty nice. with 4 wheel drive it can do almost anything a truck can. plow snow, tow heavy trailors, carry passengers, haul new appliances when needed. the one thing a van cant do it haul over sized loads with out a trailor. round bales, tall dressers, or cabinets, tall loads of square bales of hay. I wouldnt be without a pick up. I wouldnt have a van instead of a pick up. You can always put a cap on a pick up and have the same result, but you cant cut the top off a van.

10. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

For the homestead I still swear by my pickup with no topper. Sure I have to shovel out the snow and all, but nothing like that big open bed for wood, garbage or whatever hauling. I also like the full visibility an open bed affords.

Now for work, we drive pickups with a cap on them (telephone company). I would love to have a van for this purpose. All my tools are kept in the back and get frost covered and a just plain cold. I mean I'm already outside working at 20 below, so why do my tools have to be that cold also. A van would also give me a warm space to do at least a little work in.

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

As a person who keeps a vehicle forever, my choice would be a truck. Generally, it's a lot easier to work under the hood of a truck compared to the hood and/or cowling of a van.

12. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

We have both, a 12 passenger van (it's the size of a 15 passenger though) that the rear seat is usually removed, and a pickup truck. If we had to get rid of one, it would probably be the truck as we could get a trailer to haul anything that won't fit in the van. However part of the reason for keeping our van is that it is a diesel and can tow much better than the 350 engine in our truck.

The main issue is what are your needs. If you haul a lot that won't fit in a van, then you need the truck. If you only haul occasionally and can get a trailer you might want a van.
    Dawn

13. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

I have both. I use the van to work out of. I like working out of a van much better than a truck. It's real nice to be able to just take the tools I am gonna need out of my shop and put them in the van and they are locked up out of the weather. For farming I like the truck much better. I prefer to pull a gooseneck trailer over a bumper pull any day of the week. If I didn't have to pull a gooseneck trailer I think I might lean towards a 1 ton diesel 4wd van. But right now if I could only have one I would have to go with the truck and get a box trailer to haul all of my tools in.

14. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Can you please tell me what a 'van' is? I drive a truck! :sing:

15. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

I like pick up trucks. They are muti purpose.

I now only have one pick up. It has a shell on it and is used for the help to run and get things.

I switched to trailers. I bought a diesel 1 ton with a 15 foot box on the back. Its great for almost everything. I went from one trailer to 7. I love them

The trailers are cheaper to run. Insurance is supper low, reg is low and no engines to take care of. :dance: