Truck headlights

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Cabin Fever, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The headlights on my 1999 Chev K1500 are acting funky. There are four headlights. Normally, I'll turn the low beams on and the two inside headlights come on and when I switch to highbeams all four headlights come on.

Lately, when I switch to high beam, the outside headlights come on and the inside headlights go off. Low beam works fine (the inside headlights come on).

Any ideas? Is it the headlight switch?

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

The low beams have 2 elements inside them, 1 for low and 1 for high. Most likely they've burnt out the high elements. Replace them and see what happens.

3. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Have you considered that maybe you are being "visited?" As is commonly known and often depicted, lights blink and otherwise go haywire when there are close encounters.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Did any of your Exwives\girlfriends , ever tell you , that ,they were going to punch your headlights out :eek: ???, fordy.. :) :p

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I can't remember, but are you sure all 4 headlamps used to come on? Many vehicles do exactly what you describe from the factory. In fact the aftermarket makes kits to rewire those vehicles so all 4 lamps light on high. If I get a chance I will check my wiring diagrams for you.

6. NJDevildog

NJDevildog New Member

If checking your lights does not pan out, it might be the headlight relay. If it continues after you check/ change the bulbs, check it out or have it checked. The bad part if you continue to use the system with a bad relay you can fry the wiring by running too much power by not having the two other lights go off. Good luck, Happy Holidays.

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

My thoughts as well. Typically either high or low beams, not both.

--->Paul

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Well, I feel kinda sheepish here.....but my headlights are working fine. See here was the problem, a week or so ago we were driving home at night during a blowing snowstorm. Every time I put on the highbeams, it was like we couldn't see anything (like using high beams in a fog). I thought that maybe one highbeam lamp was burned out. When we got home I checked the headlamps....two came on when the switch was on low beam and the other two came on when the switch was on high beam. I "thought" that all four were supposed to come on at high beam....later, I found out that I was wrong....only two come on during highbeam.

Thanks tho (for most of the input!)

9. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Common mistake and as I said in my post your truck can easily be converted to turn all 4 lamps on with the addition of a kit or just a relay and some wiring.
    There might still be something wrong with your headlamps that you are overlooking. Many times the power of your headlamps can be cut by a poor ground which works like a dimmer control on your lights. Unplug your headlamp and connect an accurate voltmeter between the 2 wires in the connector. Turn on the lights and read the voltage. Now remove the voltmeter lead from the ground wire in the connector and hook the neg lead of the voltmeter to the neg. post of the battery. If you see much of a difference between readings you have a bad ground connection. If the readings are close measure your actual battery voltage, if there is much of a difference between battery voltage and your readings at the headlamps you have a resistance problem somewhere in the circuit. You can trace out the problem or just wire your headlamps thru relays and be sure they are getting full votage.
    Now the simplest of headlamp tips. Are your headlamps pointing correctly? Park your vehicle 25 ft. from a wall and on level ground. Turn the headlamps on and look at the patterns. They should be straight ahead and slightly lower than the center of the headlamp (measure from the ground to the center of the lamp and either mark the wall or measure where the beam hits) this will allow the light to shine down on the road and not into infinity or oncoming traffics eyes. To be able to see each beam either disconnect one or block it with something so you can see 1 beam at a time. The lamps will have 2 adjutment scres each. One is for up and down and the other for left and right. Your owners manual should help if you are unsure. Turn the screw slowly and watch for a change. Many of these adjusters are plastic and will break easily or possibly have broken already causing your original problem.
    Good luck and let us know how you make out.