Truck caps/shells/toppers

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by travis91, Nov 22, 2005.

1. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

do any of you have truck caps for your truck?what brand do you have?what is it made of? do you like it?why or why not i wasthinking about a theroplastic one if i can fid a manufctuer or building one of these http://www.butlerprojects.com/other/topper/index.htm thanks on you input

2. Dave in Ohio

Dave in Ohio Well-Known Member

I have a fiberglass one on my 95 ford ranger, picked it up on e-bay, I had to find the right size (6') bed, and then attempt to get a color to match, I got a silver one, goes real nice, the next step was to find one within driving distance as they won't ship them, cost is too much, then I had to win the auction. Paid $200 for one new that would have been $1000 at least. It isn't perfect but then neither is my truck or myself. I did have an aluminum one on an older truck and it worked great. I use them to keep alot of the weather out of the back as I use the back for some storage and camping.
    I suppose it really depends on what you need it for. And how much you are willing to spend or what your taste is.
    Dave

3. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

I have a white fiberglass topper on my truck. Infact it is going on its third truck. My dad bought it for me in the eighties as a gift. I have replaced one of the window panes that I busted out and it leaks a little around the windows. I need to take the windows out and re-seal them. Other than that, it is fine.

4. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We got lucky and live near "The Truck Cap Man". This man has his own home business of buying & selling truck caps. Hundreds of them on his property. He was most helpful in selecting the size and type of cap for our needs. Fortunately for us, the aluminum cap we bought for our old pickup also fits the new one. Just this summer the screening has begun to rip out of the windows, but maybe the goats were helping it along.

We picked up an old damaged cap to use as a pig shelter. Shored it up onto logs at the 4 corners and pigs were happy as can be.

6. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I have a F150 with an 8' box - fiberglass topper (which has windows). What I do not like is the fact that the topper really obstructs your view - not only backing up but changing lanes. Unless I need the cap to keep something out of the weather, it can usually be found on the top of my utility trailer. I don't store anything in the back of my truck overnight.

I suppose those flat fiberglass covers would be a better compromise - keep things out of the weather yet not obstruct your view.

Personally, I'd rather a higher "utility" type rack for the truck and perhaps a custom made tarp to cover it all (which could be removed).

cheers,

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

84 Ranger has a metal-based one on which I added ladder racks front and back. Dry store is nice and I have camped out in it by using a bunk bed matress. Being able to carry long items on top is a great advantage. Original owner bought in new in 84, thus in use for about 20 years now, and I will switch it over to my new 88 Ranger.

8. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

i like your idea but have you ever seen one?

9. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I've seen many utility racks on the backs of pickups - electrician, pipefitters, landscapers... even the armed forced has some very neat ones actually with tarps. Some I've seen have ladder racks, boat racks, conduit pipes, "headache" racks, etc. etc. Although you could probably buy a rack, making them from either square or round tubing should not be too difficult (depending on how elaborate you wanted it). A decent tarp maker (boat cover and awnings and...) should be able to make a nice heavy duty tarp which is easily removed.

In my opinion, most conventional caps are not all that practical. You have to take them off if you want to move something which is high (depending on how high a cap you buy), they obstruct visability, you can't dump into the box of the truck with the cap on, etc.

cheers,

10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Two of our trucks came with caps. Both were removed and discarded in short order. We work over the sides of the truck beds quite regularly, which you cannot do with a cap. Many times we also carry items that will not fit under the cap. Difficulties with securing a load under a cap are significant.