Troybuilt tiller hiller attachment

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rwzzz, Apr 7, 2006.

1. rwzzz

rwzzz Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Anyone use a hiller attachment on their troybuilt? I am thinking of getting one, but want to know if its worth the $119.00

thanks
    Bob Z
    Ne Pa

2. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

$119? Lord no! I have used my neighbors, and no way is it worth that. I used it to push up some beds, and to furrow for planting my potatoes a couple years ago. It is much easier to hill the potatos with a hoe. My opinion.
    On the other hand, it might be worth it if you have LOTS of potatoes, or push up beds every year. It is a one time expense. I suppose it depends on you and your garden. It does what it is suppose to do, but only so well. If you want to hill your taters the second time, you'll still have to do them by hand.

3. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

well for me its easier to use a hoe or shovel. but an older gentleman uses mine every year and swears by it. loves it. it works great if you have the time to really till the soil up.
    randy

4. rwzzz

rwzzz Well-Known Member

Thanks, I guess I'll pass on the hiller

take care
    Bob Z

5. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I got mine when I bought the tiller and that was about 10 years ago. At the time I thought I just "had" to have it to make my rows. Now, I never use it. It is just not worth the xtra time spent. I just make my rows with a hoe. To do it over? No, I wouldn't purchase that particular attachment. I would rather have something else like maybe a blade for the front.

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I've got one and I used it once before, I think.

7. Colorado

Colorado Well-Known Member

I use a ditcher deal on my Troy to make potato rows and use it to make the irrigation ditches. Not a boughten hiller does not hill . Seed rows I use a push plow/cultilvator. I could not do with out a ditcher. I have a 3 horse old cultivator I can do ditches with but not as good. I till the garden and they have to put all the irrigation ditches back in.