Troy Built Tuffy Riding Mower--help Please

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by NancyinArkansas, Jul 19, 2004.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

While Going Down A Slight Incline The Wheels Stopped Turning And Now It Runs But Wheels Wont Turn And It As If It Is In Neutral-there Was A Slight Click Before It Happened--any Ideas What Is Wrong--thank You--it Is Only 3 Months Old--i Cant Find The Reciept And It Was Paid For With Cash--nancy

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Sounds as if a belt got thrown off a pulley or maybe the belt broke. There should be two belts, one to the blades and one to the transmisssion.

3. NancyinArkansas

It Is Not The Belts--thank You --nancy

4. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Hi Nancy, Could be the shift linkage- have someone work the shifter while you look underneath, a shift rod could have come loose or, cotter pin could have dropped out. I had one stuck in reverse because of a cotter pin jamming against the housing. Take care, Daryll in NW FLA

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with your mower. Is it hydrostatic drive? Do you push a pedal foward to go foward and then rock it backwards to go backwards? If it is a hydrostat there is usually a lever to disengage the hydrostat so you can push the mower without the engine running. This lever is either on the back or under the seat. Be sure this lever is in the correct position. You bought it new so you should have an owners manual which would show this to you.
    If it's not a hydrostat it sounds mechanical. Possibly a key sheared on the axle shaft or as someone else said a linkage problem.

6. NancyinArkansas

Well everyone have a good laugh-there was a gas cap and a stick hung under the pulley and poor old husband sais he did nt see it so he got really embarassed when 2 repair men came to our home and pulled out a stick and the gas cap that he acussed every one of losing--cost us 75 dollars to get it fixed--see ya all in the funny papers-now you know about the crazy life i live-Nancy