Troy bilt weed whacker problems

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Jul 28, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    It is out of string and the button on the bottom will not come off, I have tried to turn it in both direction with a pair of 14 inch adjustable pliers. I can find no set screw or similar, whats the trick for this thing?

2. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

I had one of those (doesn't run now). The best of my memory is that the button isn't what you remove. If you look on the sides of the large spool itself there are to tabs that you press in, turn the whole bottom plate and the whole bottom plate comes off, including the button. Like I said, no guarantees I'm right because I've had several different brands. Once you get the bottom plate off, you can get access to the string reservoir. Also, if you look at the top of the string spool you should see a little slot. This is to insert a thin screw driver or nail or whatever works. This locks the spool from turning while you are unscrewing the top plate, or the entire spool for that matter.

3. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

My Troy-built weed eater has the knob, and if I remember right, you turn it clockwise to unscrew it. I've had trouble with it before, and I think I had to bump the head on the ground a few times to get it to seat right before unscrewing it.

This is a fairly new one though, so I don't know if that helps.