Troy Bilt tiller

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Mar 2, 2004.

1. My 25 year old Troy Bilt tiller is finally starting to show it's age and I am considering buying another one. I mentioned it to a friend and his opinion was it would be much better to overhaul/recondition the old one. He said Troy Bilt is now part of a conglomerate and the quality has gone way down, they are now basically overpriced junk living off the old TB name and reputation. He related several stories about the one he bought, and soon got rid of, and several others he had first hand knowledge of. Anyone here had bad experiences with newer TB tillers?

2. Hillbilly Don

Hillbilly Don Active Member

This is another post that I hope someone add some input. I too am thinking about buying a Troy-built [8 h.p.]. How about some other chioces? I do hope somebody will add some input,pleeeeeze, :worship: . Don

3. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I'm still hearing that Troy-bilt are very good tillers.
    I just traded my belt sander to my father for his tuffy tiller he bought back in 87, he used it maybe a dozen times and hardly wore the paint off the tines.
    This one replaces my old merry tiller that i think was made back about the time dirt was invented....hehe
    I have a friend that bought a honda tiller 2 years ago, just after the warranty went out the thing fell apart :-( He just bought a new Troy-built and seems quite happy with it.

Here are some reviews from Epinions on troy bilt
    http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Lawn_a...Tillers-Troy_Bilt-5HP_Bronco/display_~reviews

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't think you can beat a TroyBilt if you really need a tiller to do a large garden area. We have the economy model--usually use the rotovator on the big tractor to till our huge garden but the tiller has the hiller/furrower which is so handy for making raised beds, hilling 'taters and corn. DH does alot of smaller gardens for our elderly neighbors with the tiller. Also have a Mantis tiller which is darn handy in raised beds. I personally think rebuilding a quality machine is more practical than investing in new,possibly,lesser quality tiller. Look at cars with all the plastic in them now....and computer this and that so a do-it-yourselfer can't do alot of the repairs anymore. I'll keep my '78 Gremlin,thank you very much! There are always good buys on Troybilts in our local shopper papers come spring--or you could put one in yourself. Never had any problems getting prompt service from the Troy bilt company. Only needed new tines for our tiller in the last 15 years....those Missouri rocks are deadly!! DEE

5. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

We now have a Troy Built also. We bought it when it was 2 years old...and got the guarantee with it to us . We have had the handle replaced from the company...it broke in 2 and the 2nd time we just had it welded with a pipe inside of it. Also had a tine replaced already and the string came out..when you pull it to start. BUT....we aren't under the lifetime warrenty since they did change hands though. I would STILL recommend a Troy-built. You will get their warrenty if bought new and you would have no problems after that. I find it very, very easy to start and light..can't remember off hand what size it is..next to the largest one. We did have a huge simplicity tiller for over 20 years..must have been 40 years old when it finally died. But it was so big I couldn't use it well myself. We just bought a Troy-built snowthrower and we are pleased with that also. See if the company is having any specials that might save you on shipping and tax before you buy at the local stores. Good Luck and Happy Tilling !!

6. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Oh !!...go with an electric start...it would be worth the few extra dollars !!

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We have a big one, with the electric start and totally love it. I still think they are some of the best on the market, even though they have changed hands.

8. My Troy Bilt Tiller is getting rather old itself. But if I ever get another, it would be a BCS Tiller.

http://www.bcsamerica.com

Warning: They are expensive. I would probably need to find a used one to make it affordable. But its what I would want. Far better than the other types of tiller.

9. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Before buying a Troy-Bilt tiller try one and see if you like it. They are not for everyone nor every garden. Most important option is the bumper protecting the engine. It doesn't work like the commercial in hard dirt. As a matter of fact it's like riding a bull in hard soil. I do have an older one that I've had for years now. Troy-Bilt is now owned by MTD which makes just about every tiller and mower you see at the discount stores. The newer models are not as tough as the older ones and have all of the user unfriendly idiot proof first thing to break features.