troy-bilt string trimmer/mower

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by joan from zone six, Jun 21, 2004.

1. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

i've got one - the one with the two big wheels
    engine runs very well - rest of unit is well built - problem is................. i can't get the "string" to last more than 5 minutes - using the string the dealer is pushing and installing it by the book -
    wondering if anyone else has this problem with the troy or any other brand big trimmer and if anyone has tried substituting a piece of cable in place of the plastic string -
    gotta find a solution - right now the thing is a really neat lawn ornament at best
    thanks

2. jacksun

jacksun Active Member

try using a thicker line we use starline in our commercial use and can cut just about anything also check that there is no sharp edges where the string comes out ; the dealer probably sold you some old string thats why he was pushing it

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What is your string contacting? Stone or such, how often? There is a grade of string rated 'chain link fence' (useage) that may be the answer Useing a cable would need for it to be heat melted at the ends, to prevent fraying; this would call for a torch and there would be a chance for sparks upon contacting stones. What diameter of cable would fit your machine?

4. joan from zone six

thanks guys - the string ALWAYS breaks at the loop fitting it threads through last - don't think the problem is what the string is hitting - the remnants are always pristine except at the break itself - maybe i do need to polish the edges of the loop fitting - i had been thinking of a vinyl coated cable the same diameter as the plastic string - we'll get this thing figured out yet

5. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Well-Known Member

Joan, I discovered this the hard way as well. The loop should go into the groove ABOVE where the ends come out. The string is wearing through itself.

6. All, where does one find replacement string for this machine? I'm striking out here in rural western NM!
    Thanks,
    tommaso

7. joan from zone six

mine uses .155 inch string - luckily we have several stihl dealers in the area but anyone who carries landscaping products should have - good luck

8. I've lost my users manual for my walk behind Troybilt trimmer and my string keeps breaking as described in this thread. I assume I'm tying it on wrong, but can't remember how and cant download the manual from troybilts site. Any chance someone could scan the picture of how to tie the sting and post it or email it to me? Thanks in advance,

- Dan

dan@generalstandards.com