troy bilt horse tiller question.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by comfortablynumb, May 10, 2004.

1. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

what direcetion are the tines suppose to go? this old one i bought the tines turn the same direction the wheels do, but faster. this isnt bad if the ground is tilled already but hit a tough patch and hang on your goin for a ride.... to takes off propelled by the tines.

this idiot, er nice man who owned it said he "put in new gears" , which may or may not be true, he also told me he rebuilt the engine and I ened up buying a new engine for it...

anyhow... are they tines suppose to roll the same direction as the wheels? (forward) I thought troybilts tines ran backwards and the wheels ran forwards.... I dunno. Someone who has an old 70's vintage horse... please lemme know!

I may need to till hard ground with an anchor draggin behind me. :haha:

2. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

Tines and wheels turn the same direction on mine.

3. Tines and the wheels turn in the same direction and the tines turn much faster than the wheels. You probably need to sharpen or replace the tines on your machine. They need to slice thru the dirt. If they are very dull, they will propel the machine forward till you get it turned over a couple of times. On really hard, compact dirt or really tough turf/grass, you might want to turn it over with a tractor and plow before you attempt the troybilt. It can do the job but it will take you for a couple of rides until you get the ground turned over a few times.

4. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

the horse is usually quite forgiving but will let you know when you bite off more than you can chew

5. comfortablynumb

sharpen the blades...

we overlook the obvious dont we?

Well, I am alowed one or 12 oversights a day.

they are really dull... I didnt give it a thought.

6. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

Comfortablynumb the first tiller I bought was a troybilt tuffy.It drug me across the garden a few times.I called the company because I thought something was wrong with it.It was used.They told me I was trying to till it to deep for the first time.They also told me to till a strip then skip a strip till a strip then go back and till between the strips.It works pretty good for me.

Tambo

7. comfortablynumb

oh I set the bar high to start, it still took me for a ride.
    I'll let you know if sharpening the blades is an improvement.

some wheel weights wouldnt hurt either i bet.

8. Ducks limited

Ducks limited Member

I know that feeling of leap-frogging across the garden trying to get controll of the tiller. I upset mine before I could get it stopped.
    Now I have learned how to till "new ground" it is fairly simple. Start by setting no deeper than 3 notches on the depth gage. As you start the tilling never push down on the handlebars. Use them to steer only. The tiller will find it's own depth. On the return pass overlap the first pass half way. Keep doing this till you get all the ground covered. Then set a notch deeper and go back over in the opposite direction if possible.
    On blade sharpening, my tiller is 13 years old and it has worn out 1 set of blades and I have never had to sharpen them. Try taking it a little shallower and not pushing down on the hanldes before you sharpen the blades. They most likely don't need it. Dave

9. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've not heard of sharpening the blades and don't see the use of it. When you use your tiller the blades become sharp as they wear out. Sharpening would just waste blade material.
    Many come on here asking about Troy-Bilts and unless you've used one you can't tell them how it will beat you to death, especially if they've only seen the TV commercials of guiding it with 1 hand. When you get your ground to that point you usually don't need a Troy-Bilt or any other expensive tiller.