Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I took my two young sons ( 7 & 10) trout fishing in southern Missouri and while they both enjoyed it, my older son has absolutely fallen in love with the sport. All he talks about and wants to do is fish so needless to say we are heading back to the same trout stream this weekend for what may become an annual fall fishing trip for the boys and I. I considered taking my older daughter (age 5) but decided her little sister would appreciate the company while they spend the weekend with my parents at my farm. I made reservations for the same campsite as last year earlier this morning and am getting excited for the trip!

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
hope you catch a bunch

Reactions: Twp.Tom

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Wow, 37 is a very very nice number. Good job for your son, he sounds like he is a natural. Do you catch and release or come home, cook, bake, bbq them? The very first thing I do when I visit my father is head straight to his refridge and check for fish. My father is a awesome fisherman and he usually smokes his fish. I LOVE smoked fish, so needless to say it is always a treat when he has a fridge full of them. Nothing else gets looked at as long as there is fish. I have decided a deep freezer is in order because I want fish and more fish.

You should take pictures of said fishing trip. I bet the fall leaves against the stream are beautiful right now.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wow, 37 is a very very nice number. Good job for your son, he sounds like he is a natural. Do you catch and release or come home, cook, bake, bbq them? The very first thing I do when I visit my father is head straight to his refridge and check for fish. My father is a awesome fisherman and he usually smokes his fish. I LOVE smoked fish, so needless to say it is always a treat when he has a fridge full of them. Nothing else gets looked at as long as there is fish. I have decided a deep freezer is in order because I want fish and more fish.

You should take pictures of said fishing trip. I bet the fall leaves against the stream are beautiful right now.
They did not keep any of their fish on the previous trip but we plan to keep what we catch assuming they are up to size. However the limit is 4 per day and 8 in possession per person so we can only bring home so many. I usually mix butter, salt, pepper, rosemary and onion and bake them whole (minus the head, guts etc) and the kids eat them like candy. I recently have taken a liking to fish tacos so we might try a few that way as well.

Speaking of pictures, I am heading to get a new phone this evening in order to take higher quality pictures for the boys scrapbooks.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Fishing is in my families blood. I found out this last year that my brother designed and then started selling fly fishing rods. Leave it to a ------- to come up with something like that.

Yes to the pictures and scrapbooks, you will never regrets that and the memories you will make...

Here is a link to my brothers rods...

http://www.beulahflyrods.com/

He named them after Grandma Beaulah, who was a very beautiful woman.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Yes, leave it to my brother who decided if you are going to go fly fishing, then you need to look good doing it. Pretty sure that is also a ------- trait, lol. At one time my brother owned a yacht and tried out for the summer olympics. My father is 83 and still owns three boats because ya just never know what type of fishing you will be doing. As a child it seemed I lived on a boat at times, either in a lake or out in the ocean...

I am all for fishing trips and taking your kids. Good memories that will last a life time, lots of pictures and don't forget to make s'mores.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
In my neck of the woods trout fishing means Lake Trout.
My biggest so far weighed 13 lbs . Great spring fun, usually
trolling with sucker meat for bait . I used frozen golden shiners
and a big mepps spinner . Most fun artificial hard baits we
used rainbow trout pattern rapala tail dancers . Once on windy
shore they were unusually hitting chartreuse rap minnow
just below the surface after ice out. Gotta try unconventional
stuff sometimes . Makes fishing that much more fun .

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Other than Lake Trout in Lake Michigan we don't have trout to speak of here in Illinois but over in Missouri they have a few nice spring fed trout streams. Trout fishing in Missouri means 12-16" Rainbow trout and the occasional 15-18" Brown trout. The limit is 4 per day and 8 possession so we could walk away with a decent mess between the 3 of us. The weather forecast has been amended to show a low of 35 degrees on Sunday morning so we might have a chilly night Saturday. Looks like bibs and long underwear will need to be added to our bags this afternoon!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
In my neck of the woods trout fishing means Lake Trout.
My biggest so far weighed 13 lbs . Great spring fun, usually
trolling with sucker meat for bait . I used frozen golden shiners
and a big mepps spinner . Most fun artificial hard baits we
used rainbow trout pattern rapala tail dancers . Once on windy
shore they were unusually hitting chartreuse rap minnow
just below the surface after ice out. Gotta try unconventional
stuff sometimes . Makes fishing that much more fun .
Another Lake Trout person. KEWL!

My biggest is over 20 LBS.

We should compare notes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
you must be talking about roaring river state park. a very nice park i have fished there many many times over the years. very nice camping facilities also.

can get quite crowded at certain times also, but that adds to the fun if you enjoy people.

i dont think you said if you were flyfishing or using regular tackle? to me flyfishing greatly improves your odds there. its not hard to learn at all and very cheap to get into if you stay basic.

also learning to tie a few basic fly patterns can be great fun of yu and your boys.its also fairly cheap and simple if you stay basic.

you may also look up jolly mill park, it is about 30 mi north of cassville. last i knew they stocked trout a few times a year there also. its been awhile since ive been there tho so double check. it does not have camping facilities last i knew.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts