Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cinnamon looks lopsided :eek: So I tried milking her today, more for my experience than anything but also to relieve the side it doesn't appear that Delta is nursing from. I started out squeezing down the milk from the udder then out the nipple. Only got 1/4 cup total and all from the one side. Her udder feels firm, squishable but it takes strength to do so. How much can I expect to get while she has the kid on her full time? Did I not do it right? Her nipples don't look swollen like the majority of milk goat pictures I see. Maybe she only has colostrum still? He was only born yesterday. (I'm excited for the milk lol can ya tell?)

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
she can be a bit swollen yet, give her a few more days. i would keep trying to milk the side that baby isn't using tho., to keep her even if possible.

·
le person
6,241 Posts
You don't want to squeeze the udder itself, just the teat. You clamp the teat right where it meets the udder with your thumb and forefinger, closing the milk in the teat off. Then bring in the next fingers to push what you have held in the teat down and out. If she isn't letting her milk down well, bump her udder kinda like the baby does, only I do it softer! Does she have small teats? Those are a pain :eek:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips! I got 1 cup today :) Only the milk is really dirty- you can see bits of manure in it and I ran it through a strainer and got hair. I did wash off the udder with a towel and some 10% bleach solution- what else can I do to keep it clean? Or is this normal? If it is, how do I pasteurize it?

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
where are you milking her? i use a stand, and i put my ss bucket into a ice cream pail to keep the bottom clean (so i can set it on my kitchen counter without poo) i use a tiny amt of bleach (always clorox) and either tshirt or towel, rubbing the whole udder to get off any ickys. i do get some hair sometimes, never poop! but if you do a good wiping with the towel of the whole udder, under the belly, all over, that should get any loose hair, straw, etc. off before you put your pail under her. i do not pasturize. a little hair never hurt and if its that dirty, i dump it (like if she get a foot in the pail)

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,255 Posts
Brush her belly before you wipe. Wipe the whole lower udder. Use clean wipes if the first comes back dirty.

Just my suggestions based on limited experience.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Only got 1/4 cup total and all from the one side. Her udder feels firm, squishable but it takes strength to do so.
"takes strength to do so" strikes me as odd. sounds more like that side is congested to me. does it feel like your bicep when it is flexed? or like a butt cheek:eek:. sorry thats the best way I can come up with to describe the difference:shrug:.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More like a butt cheek lol. But you can't squeeze those too hard without strength either. I did better yesterday, got 1 cup. I'm going to try milking through a TShirt the next time. (Today probably)

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
are you firmly clamping off the teat where it attaches to the udder?

Her orifice may be very small and it takes some doing to get it to come out.

You'll build Popeye Arms like the rest of us after milking for a while.

LOL

AND be able to crush guys' fingers when you shake hands with them...

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
butt cheek is good! a great way to practice your technique is a rubber glove filled with water. put a pin prick in one of the ends of the fingers and practice holding the finger and squeezing the water out the pin prick. first close your thumb and the base of your index finger around the top to trap the water in the "teat" then close the rest of your fingers one by one pushing the fluid out the bottom. good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Make sure that you clip the doe's belly, udder, rear legs, and anus areas before milking. The little clipping that is done will help alot from clingers from falling into your milk and ruining the whole batch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts