Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something is not right with Trub.

She has a nasty wound on her side from yellow jacket stings a couple weeks ago. The wound appears to be healing. It looks loads better than it did this morning. I've been treating it topically with fresh aloe and panalog.

But Nick phoned me while I was on my way home, said she isn't eating very well (grains but not alfalfa pellets), and was panting.

She is pooping and peeing just fine. Her mucous membranes are a little pale. She's still panting. Like I said, her wound looks lots better, but she doesn't want her to touch her - at least not on that side of her body.

My first thought is banamine and B vitamins. Got to find a battery for the thermometer.

Any other suggestions?

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

I'm going to go ahead with pen-G, banamine, and dexamethasone.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I hope she gets better quickly, Pony! She is so well known and so lovely...hate to lose the favorites...and to those rotten little yellow jackets. The Benedryl sounds good IF it is an allergic reaction...but how much??? I assume there is no infection from the stings? Praying for you both!!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Did she dig at the wound from weeks ago? Thats the only reason I could think of her still having problems from something as mild as yellow jacket stings.

When you get her temp, let us know. Panting is an interesting sign. Anything else you notice aside from the inappetance?

Reactions: Pony

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's better this morning. Breathing normally, eating... avoiding the mean human who stabbed her yesterday. ;)

Yeah, temps have dropped drastically.

She was digging and scratching up against the metal on the kid shed.

Temp was normal.

Her wound looks loads better today, but dang! It was certainly impressive! Still is, actually. Goatie granulation is weird.

Dozedotz, thanks for the kind words about my gal. When I was milking her this morning (the dogs were grateful - they got the milk), I had the thought, "Do you really want to breed her this year?"

Her pregnancy this past season was uneventful, but the outcome disappointing. Is she getting too old? She's only 6... I worry about her. She's my first goat. I know the day will come, but I don't want to do anything to hasten it...

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
It was so humid out yesterday here Pony, I had goats going nuts, some in heat, the others riding them. They were all panting. Humidity and temp has dropped today and they are all (kind of ) back to normal. I still have a couple going out of heat that were bred yesterday. I bet it was just the stress of the heat and humidity yesterday along with the wound healing.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Alice and Coso.

The heat/humidity must have been getting to me, too. I love that goofy goat. I know she's not the most conformationally gorgeous animal in the universe, but she is my first goat, and (as some may have noticed over the past 5 years), I get a little emotional about her. :rolleyes: Okay, a lot emotional LOL

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My Emerald pants a lot when the humidity is bad. I'm glad I'm not the only one, I wondered if something was wrong with her. Goats, amirite? :)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
She is just getting an early start this year...they usually wait until kidding time to make you crazy! Glad she is feeling better. This nice cool weather is making all of us feel better!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts