Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to tractor my rabbits everyday I can so they get plenty of exercise and fresh grasses and weeds. My does were all getting along great. One day when I went to check on my bunnies it was quite obvious one of my smaller does became aggressive towards the larger doe. She broke through to the other does cage. I'm assuming the Larger doe won as the smaller one is now terrified of the larger doe.

Unfortunately, this battle has changed my larger does behaviour. I use a towel to transfer my bunnies from their night time cages to their now individual tractors. She is now a very vocal bunny and will growl at her towel, attack it, and now she is starting to do this if my hand comes near her. When I'm transferring her she is growling and biting the blanket and if not held firmly will attempt to claw me to death. I'm really hopeful she will have kits in 2 weeks. However I've been trying to breed rabbits unsuccessfully for 4 months:(
Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Articles about dealing with aggressive bunnies. I don't want to make her stay in her cage all day. I want her to get daily exercise and this is not helping my fear of bunnies!:):help:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have an aggressive doe who is going to be going to freezer camp soon (if my brother who asked me for her when I was butchering doesn’t pick her up soon.) So I can get her to stop the aggressive behavior for a while i give her a treat (i.e. clover cause it grows by her cage.) and pet her very slowly calmly i repeat this for a day or two and when i come to the cage on the three day she is claim and happy to greet me looking for her clover which i give her once in a while after. The problem is she will become aggressive again if she gets scared by anything recently it’s been thunder storms. So for me she would not have been breeding stock anyhow so i would not keep this type of rabbit around. For you it sounds like she is breeding stock and of a claimer temperament and went through a traumatic event so you might want to give her some time to claim down and see is going to give birth that can also help mellow out a rabbit.

I hope this helps and maybe someone has had a different experience but from what i notice so far is that there original temperament seem to lifelong so if you have a skittish rabbit it will always be skittish but if you handle it every day it will help but if you stop it will return to being skittish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, this bunny has always been a bit of a feisty rabbit to start. It's part of the reason we named her Merida. She had been getting better this seems to be a set back

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Unfortunately, this bunny has always been a bit of a feisty rabbit to start.
If you Put her in a pot and Simmer---it seems to cook all the "feisty" out of her.

Seriously, all the "mean" rabbits I have had----go into the pot ASAP. I am not going to feed a rabbit that I am "scared" will bite me etc nor will I pass it on to someone else. Keep the Best, cull the rest!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts