Trouble getting fryers to 5-6 lbs

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by AndreaR, Jun 8, 2004.

1. AndreaR

AndreaR Well-Known Member

Hello everyone...it has been a while getting back to this post. I have been struggling to get my NZW fryers to the 5-5.5 lbs weight by 10 weeks. The processor called me and asked me why the rabbits seem lean rather than solid as they like it. I feed the fryers and the mothers 17% bunny feed, alfalfa hay and once in a while, molasses rolled oats (12%)as a treat. The bunnies are house in a large pen with straw on the floor....maybe the pen is too big and they are burning off their weight?! Should I confine the fryers to a smaller pen so they don't run too much? Any advice on the feed?

Thanks
    AndreaR

2. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

Hi,
    They have found that feeding hay actually slows the growth rate. The balance in your complete feed gets out of whack. I still feed hay cuz I like the buns to have something to do. Hay increases your feed costs and will reduce the meatyness of your buns. They will run the weight off in large pens. I have done both, raised in industry sized pens and colony raised. Colony raised rabbits do not get the growth and eat way more. Check out Deans Argden rabbit or Blue chips site and you can get the scientic side of the hay vs feed argument.
    Judith

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Feed 18% protein complete ration. Cull any producers that aren't giving you rabbits that meet your standard. Keep only those rabbits that have a faster growth rate. You may need to get new breeders.

How do you make any profit feeding treats?

4. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

Hi Andrea,
    can you private e-mail me. My addy is being blocked from your telus site. just wondering if you found out the westjet shipping rates
    Thanks,
    judith