Trouble finding feeders!! Help!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TurnKey, Jun 6, 2005.

1. TurnKey

TurnKey Well-Known Member

I don't know what it's like around the rest of the midwest, but I can't find feeder pigs anywhere in northern Michigan! I have been looking since April for 15 feeder pigs (30 - 40 pounders) that coworkers have hired me to raise. Everybody I know says they "don't have any right now and no more due until... but that the next 20 are spoken for" Even the livestock auctions are telling me that feeders are gone the minute the guy pulls up with them. Sometimes he can't even get out of the truck before people are throwing money at him and grabbing babies! I am set up for summer, fall and early winter raising; but not for through the winter raising or farrowing. Does anybody know where I can get some meat pigs before the end of June? I am in Iosco County on the east side of the northern lower peninsula (30 miles east of West Branch and 34 miles west of Oscoda) I'm willing to do some driving, but not too much with gas prices so high - unless the price is right.!! Thanks-

2. creeklady2000

creeklady2000 Well-Known Member

I agree I live in noirthern Mi also and you cant find them any where I think I might have finally gotten my hands on a couple of them so I am getting 2 girls and then I am looking for a boy and I am going to start raiseing them as many people want them around here and will have no trouble at all selling baby pigs and I figure it can bring in a little extra income at the same time

3. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

Where in Northern MI are you? I've got 7. 5 females and 2 males. I might be willing to drive partway if someone wanted them all. Perhaps we could make it a fun weekend adventure and take pigs and kiddos to see some of the countryside! :)

They'd be ready to go here in a couple weeks. I'm looking for $60 each for them. Haven't cut the boys yet...will be soon unless someone wants them otherwise!

If you want to MapQuest...we live just outside of Luck, WI.