Trouble but symptoms are confusing...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by minnikin1, Jul 26, 2006.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

This morning, when I let the sheep out, I noticed an older ewe was limping.
    I checked her feet, they seem to be fine, but she's acting "off" as well - lying down before her usual time to chew cud, and she seems to moving painfully.

Then I noticed her wether companion acting oddly, also. I saw blood in the corner of his mouth, and it appears he cut the corner of his lips, probably because he won't keep his head out of the fence - so that might be just a coincidence that is throwing me off.

He is also acting peculiar. Moving stiffly, like it hurts. He's not grazing (although when I brought him in to get a closer look at him, he did try to steal the bunnies grain.... ) I've noticed his chin seemed to be hanging low lately, and I thought that was just the way he was going to look as he grew, but this morning it seems suddenly much larger and puffy.
    I've noticed his personality changing drastically in the last few weeks or so, also.

I thought maybe a critter had gotten in and roughed them up last night, but they were each in different stalls. Everyone else seems ok...

Does it sound like these symptoms could be connected somehow?

2. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Yikes, I see that swelling is called "bottle jaw" and I might have barberpole worms on my hands....

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Well, it's barberpole.
    Another local person noticed an explosion of them when she ran a fecal this morning, so it must be this weather...

Heads up NY's!

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry...it can be a bugger to rid yourself of, from what I've heard.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Here, too...but mine was confirmed by necropsy at the state diagnostic lab Monday. Ram looked healthy...chubby, if anything. I rotate wormers, and worm on a schedule down here in the South, and the last worming was July 4th. The small ruminent vet at the state vet school is working with me and my vet on getting it under control. We're doing base-line lab work on every sheep and goat I have today, cocktail worming per his instructions, and they are ready to transfuse any that need it. Friends are coming this weekend to help me build a shelter in a never-used pasture area so I can move them.

Best of luck to you and your sheep.
    Meg

6. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

So sorry to hear your news. From what I understand, when the conditions are ripe for them, it doesn't matter how thorough your worming protocol, if they hatch out on the wrong day, they can get a foothold and they have a very short lifespan - 7 days I think.

I'm fearing I will lose the little guy with the bottle jaw, but we are doing all we can for him.

I found some decent hay to buy (a miracle!) so I can pull them completely off the pastures for a month or so...

7. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

What dewormer did you treat him with ?
    We had a case of bottle jaw in a lamb a few years ago.
    A couple days of Vitamin B-complex in addition to Levasole really made a difference. Our vet also had us give him a few days of Penicillin.

Hope this helps,

Deb

8. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Worm with CYdectin (drench for sheep) It can be used as a theraputic worming and it gets Barberpole 99%+

9. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Vet gave me levasole, but when I give them all a second dosing, I'll switch the medication to something different.. I haven't seen Cydectin, but I'll have to search for it.

thank you all for the inputs (on the sunburn, too! Geez, everything happens all at once, no?

The little wether seemed a bit improved this evening. that was a surprise because his FAMACHA coloring score was "fatal".
    But, he looked me in the eye when I went out to feed tonight- a nice thing to see after you've been confronted with the "vacant" expression of a very ill critter. I hoping he'll be there in the am.

The more I watch the limping ewe, I 'm thinking her issue was an actual injury of some kind. Maybe someone butted her last night. Since we brought home some new sheep, we have a bit of posturing going on, and I noticed she's been trying for a higher status. Perhaps she pushed her luck.

10. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'm glad your little guy is doing better. I hope he continues to improve.

Just for the record, mine have had the new cydectin drench for sheep in their rotation. They're still dying of barberpole worms.

And as of yesterday, I have a three month old lamb at the state vet school. She had a transfusion yesterday, and is doing better today. The rest are in better shape, and we're following the small ruminent vet's advise on using multiple wormers at one time, and going off-label, which I haven't done with the sheep.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for yours...keep yours crossed for mine!

Meg

11. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Hang in there MegZ.
    One of the things I think helped this little wether beat the beasties was making sure he was getting his mineral. Since he wasn't moving much, I took a pan of it to him and he gobbled it up like a maniac, (and that was all I could interest him in). I just kept taking him more throughout the day, all he would eat.

A friend mentioned putting iodine in the water (and a little molasses to kill the bad taste). I haven't been able to figure out what type of iodine or the proper ratio, so I didn't do that, but it might be a quick way to get that iron level back up.

12. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

We've given a shot of Iron combined with B vitamin complex for anemic sheep.
    1cc of iron mixed with 2 cc of B complex. It can be repeated as needed. Go easy on the Iron, but the B complex can be given daily. The B helps boost the appetite and deals with stress.
    I'd assume the pennicillin shots one person mentioned her vet recommending was to help the weakened immune system ward off a secondary infection - perhaps pneumonia, while the animal was downed and weak.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

13. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Is B complex available in an oral form? It's hard to get needles here so I try to use mine as last resort.

Where do you purchase these vits?