Tropical goats ???'s

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moopups, Oct 17, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Considering starting with goats here in tropical central Florida, what type of goat is best suited to very warm climates? Goal is to supply the ethnic market with meat goats. Which goat species is the quickest to get to the 60 to 80 pound weight? What is the best cross to achieve this? How much feed is needed (cost wise) to supplement goats on heavy underbrushed scrub land?

2. appjuli

appjuli Member

Take a look at Spanish goats from Texas. I know they're popular there among the ethnic market. You could probably cross-breed with Boers as well, giving you a hardy, meaty goat.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Nubians are the dual purpose goat of the dairy world, good for milk and meat. They have more flesh, in general, than the Swiss breeds. They are "tropical" or "equatorial". They tolerate heat well and do well here in Texas. I would cross them with Boers. Spanish goats would be good crossed with Boer also. But the milk giving ability of the Nuibian with the Boer grows bigger kids.

4. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

I agree with the Nubian probably handling the heat best, however, most goats do acclimate to the heat eventually. However.......irregardless of what breed, in a tropical climate, watch for the worm demons. Worms are quite abundant in the warmer tropical climates of the south. Its best to purchase goats locally too rather than from another climate or region. I live in one of the worm capitols of the USA, Arkansas, a nice warm tropical climate.

Bernice

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I would bet your climate and ethnic population would be very much like mine. If it where some perfect little world where they could get past the ears (which they can't) the very best doe for crossing would be LaMancha. Thier worm resistance, milkability, being the only USA breed they are super heat tolarant even though they have no ears to cool themselves with, have excellent motherablity and even nursing those kids, the kids are not Nubian Stupid Wild!

I would not cross with Boer. Their feet and legs leave alot to be desired, and in our high humidity hoof trimming would be a nitemare...with Kiko you could go with 3 or 4 times a year.

Gary on this board is Mr. Kiko, if I was going to run meat goats I would ask him, being in Virginia it is a little different managment than you but not much.

Nubian, long floopy eared, meat goat crosses are just so normal, they sell quickly. I would make sure the does carry highly attached udders if you are runing in anything with an underbrush.

Don't go buying someones pet culls, or dairy stock....purchase animals doing what you want them to be. Some big ole heavy grained doe is going to loose considerably amounts of weight going to grass or browse pasturing...you don't want those weight stresses on top of moving them.

Vicki