Trop-artic Oil by Philipps 66 Any users?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Farmer Brown, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

Good luck with this oil? FB

2. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

I have heard nothing bad about it.

FYI if intersted, I seem to have excellent results with Rotella 15w-40, Valvoline 20w-50, And conoco 30w. depends on the motor.

Rotella goes in my 84 ranger diesel and 75 powerwagon, valvoline goes in the 84 ramcharger, 79 aspen and 78 ramcharger, oh and the 73 winnebago with the 440 dodge.

conoco 30w is run in all my small engines , mowers, lawn tractors, etc.

come to think of it, my boss used phillips 66 oil in the 70s in his challenger and said he had good results.

Since we are on the subject. and it may **** some folks off, but, dont use pennzoil! I have seen the results of its use in motors! not good! If you use pennzoil, you might as well dump sand and tar down your engine.

3. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

I'm interested in it because the farm supply sale paper usually has it for 1.05 a qt. I use Motorcraft in my new Ford PU and may switch as it's kind of hard to find as WM stopped selling. Only the higher priced auto supplies handle it now. I'm not opposed to changing brands on good brand oil in newer engines. As for oil brands----all my diesels use Rotella except an old CAT on my sawmill which has always used Chevron Delo 400. It's older and did not want to risk a change. Gas engines , I use Havoline in older pickups and Farm Coop oil in 3 gas tractors. I stopped using Pennziol in early 80's. Thanks for the input. FB

4. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

I started using Mobile 1 back in the '70s and that's about it, both gas and diesel engines. The bump in gas mileage 1-1.5 mpg is a nice benefit, since it's so $$$.

I just put 5w-40 mobil 1 for diesels in my tractor (just finished breakin, 50hrs), so we'll see if I notice any difference. This thing is so good on fuel, it'd really be hard to tell it if makes a difference.

On my I/O boat, it makes a 200 rpm difference at full throttle (4.3L v6 merc).

My 5.9L dodge, 12 pass van has used mobil 1 since 20k miles (now has 104K) and we consistently get 14.5+ mpg with it. We also change it at 12-15k intervals, like I've done with all the other cars & trucks before this... filters at 5k intervals though.... depending on the amount of hwy miles (most of it is hwy miles). A couple of weeks ago, we loaned it to a friend for an emergency, he "claims" he got 17mpg with it, loaded!? Best we ever got was just over 16.

Some guy told me Rotella T has a shelf life - I'd never heard that one before and figured he was pulling my leg! This was many years ago, but my boss threw away a 10+ yr old 55 gallon drum of it - unopened! Figuring it was bad! I had no place to store it.

Alas...

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I used to use it when I lived up north. Had Kmart and Pamida, both of which offered it often super cheap after rebate (final price cheaper than store brand). Had no problems with it.

Now I live where no rebates on oil (Wally World isnt big into offering rebates.)
    So I use either Walmart store brand or Coastal from Autozone. Both have same SJ rating (or whatever it is now) as namebrand oils and I've had no problem with either. Suspect they come out of same refinery as major brands. I would avoid any cheap brand rated SA or some such as they have no extra additives for modern engine use. Usually only sold at convenience stores for price one would pay for quality oil at discount places. I'd only consider using SA rated oil in junker on last legs that burns lot oil and then only in an emergency.

I dont know if really any better, but if I had something I really wanted to baby, I'd probably go for Valvoline or Castrol. Castrol is never cheap. Back up north occasionally get big rebate on Valvoline. Big thing I've always thought is to change oil often on any vehicle that doesnt burn lot of oil and use a quality filter. That seems more important than brand. Engines that burn lot oil get defacto oil change often anyway and probably wont last long time no matter what one does short of a rebuild.