Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I'm looking for folks who are specifically using these in the winter and how they're holding up, and are they staying ice free?

I'll see temps dip in the teens pretty regularly, usually see a couple of weeks -10 to -20 then back up closer to the higher 20's.

Plan is to install this in an insulated and heated tank.

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I'm pretty sure if I tried using a Trojan in minus zero weather, there is no way I could get anything to hold up.

Oh wait,...are you talking about that waterer thingy?
I think that company gets a lot of jokes its way from its name. :)

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
In our climate static water freezes up in lines pretty fast. Our solution is moving water and ground heat. We get deep snows early so even just having the pipes down on the soil with the snow over them is generally good enough to prevent freezing in moving water lines. Just never shut them off. This works on our mountain terrain with springs. Not so good if you have metered city water you pay for by the gallon.

-Walter

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have spring fed ground water, just a deep well pump.

The gravity waterer interested me because the valve is well into the heated water of the barrel (the white portion), and the pipe bib is about 6 inches into the heated water. I'll install it a at slight slope into the cup.

It should stay ice free.

I've sent an email to customer service, see what they say.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
If its in a structure and you use a water trough heater... and pray. :D
My uncle has nipple waters attached to metal tanks and floats heaters on it. He swears they wont freeze. In Pennsylvania.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts