Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://abcnews.go.com/US/trojan-horse-bug-lurking-vital-us-computers-2011/story?id=26737476
Emphasis mine
A destructive “Trojan Horse” malware program has penetrated the software that runs much of the nation’s critical infrastructure and is poised to cause an economic catastrophe, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

National Security sources told ABC News there is evidence that the malware was inserted by hackers believed to be sponsored by the Russian government, and is a very serious threat.

The hacked software is used to control complex industrial operations like oil and gas pipelines, power transmission grids, water distribution and filtration systems, wind turbines and even some nuclear plants. Shutting down or damaging any of these vital public utilities could severely impact hundreds of thousands of Americans.
Not hard to see how this could disrupt our daily activities, and actually create considerable havoc for those who are completely unprepared.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Serious stuff!

Let's hope they don't get the obamacare computer "experts" working on it.

Seriously though, is it wise to acknowledge we know about it rather than just fixing it? I wouldn't doubt, and hope we have, we've done the same to them.

Putin is getting friskier every day it seems. Let's hope he doesn't over play his hand.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Wisconsin has no idea how bad off we are at this moment. the gas line that feeds us fuel is gone.I read the exutive order. I heard the line ruptured. we as a whole state were all getting our fuel from one source now . That source has now dried up. My dh company fuels trains,houses, farmers, whole industries. The fuel is gone today. No home heating oil. k wiki trip ran out of gas. their plant is empty. I'm so glad we have a fuel stash and wood heat.
Dh has had to go all over the state to get a few thousand gallons here and there. if a freight train calls they have to be turned away. We figured it would be a fast fix as you see nothing on the news about the fuel shortage. we are a week into this and they have no idea when it will be fixed. we're about to get a massive winter blast. I'm prepping for a few friends famlies to come stay. I have giving all friends with fuel oil heads up. GET ALTERNATIVE HEAT NOW!!!! Some live in town and can't have wood heat. sucks to be them.

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
No single piece of software operates all of the systems listed. An important keyword in the the highlighted text is 'like'. And I'm no friend of Ivan, but let's pay careful attention to when ABC news throws the Russian government under the bus.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I had a pop up notice on my computer to contact my provider, about incoming maleware. I guess I better call.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Wisconsin has no idea how bad off we are at this moment. the gas line that feeds us fuel is gone.I read the exutive order. I heard the line ruptured. we as a whole state were all getting our fuel from one source now . That source has now dried up. My dh company fuels trains,houses, farmers, whole industries. The fuel is gone today. No home heating oil. k wiki trip ran out of gas. their plant is empty. I'm so glad we have a fuel stash and wood heat.
Dh has had to go all over the state to get a few thousand gallons here and there. if a freight train calls they have to be turned away. We figured it would be a fast fix as you see nothing on the news about the fuel shortage. we are a week into this and they have no idea when it will be fixed. we're about to get a massive winter blast. I'm prepping for a few friends famlies to come stay. I have giving all friends with fuel oil heads up. GET ALTERNATIVE HEAT NOW!!!! Some live in town and can't have wood heat. sucks to be them.

That sounds bad. Tell your in town friends that a couple of hand warmers in a sleeping bag help immensely. I've never camped in temps under 20* but they kept me warm enough at 22*. Not as warm as I would have liked, but not shivering either.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Got a call the pipe line is back up. Boy I hope this makes thing better for my dh. now everyone is attempting to play catch up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts