Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this has been a year of firsts for me. Thank goodness only one ewe left to lamb! Last night there were a set of triplets born. So far all seem well, and I have been watching to be sure that all are nursing. I know that I should supplement their mom's milk, but at what point? I am hoping that they are getting their colostrum from mom, should I start one or two on a supplemental bottle of milk replacer, or should I wait a day or so until they have that much colostrum. I have checked mom a couple times and there is still milk there, and no one is complaining or cold. I usually wait 1-2 days before giving any grain, should I start her out right away with a 1/2#? How exciting to have 3 babies, I only wish it was one of the older ewes that I know to be good milkers!
Thanks for any suggestion, this board is a god sent to newbies! It seems that this year I am to get lots of hands on learning!
Tami

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing that I was especially worried about on later have one that will need to be supplimented is how to get it to take a bottle. Is it hard to get it to learn to drink from a nipple that isnt attached to a ewe?
Tami

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are crossbred for medium wool, there is a little of everything-merino, salish, border/english leicester. So far they are doing alright with mom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.