triplet doelings

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chma4, Mar 25, 2005.

1. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I got triplet doelings from my best doe today. But she keeps kicking them when they latch on to her udder. Any suggestions?

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

is she a first freshener?
    if not, is she engorged ?
    first thoughts ....
    how long has it been since they were born , and di she clean them herself , or did you "help" wityh some does it makes a difference

if you can milk out a little bit on each goats head and above thier but, then mommy will recognize thier smell, she might just be confused, 3 babies and 2 nipples is some complex math for most does, she might think one is an interloper trying to steal milk... and since they all smell the same , its hard for her to guess who is the evil one ...

3. chma4

She is very interested in them, licking and cleaning them. She lets them butt and snuggle her, but when anyone of them latches on she jumps and kicks, then rushes to their aid. She is a first freshener. I dont know why she seems to be so sensitive about her nipple. It also seems she is more sensitive about the left than the right. She is not too engorged, not like my other does. weird?

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ok , put yourself in her hooves .... youve just done something youve never done now there are THREE of these little things running around and trying to latch on , they might be vigorous, but still , shes never had anythign touch her "there" , you know, and you might have to hold her a bit and let her let them nurse, after a little bit the hormones will kick in and she will kind of "know" what to do , its hard to explain , i assume she is in a kidding pen wiht feed and water and privacy for herself right?

if you want to you can have someone hold her while you bring a kid to the nipple, and then hold her while the kid nurses, she might get the idea

i know its hard to let her alone and see if she can do it ,
    but its either that or you take the kids milk her out and start bottle feeding them

5. chma4

yeah, thats pretty moch what i have been doing. She still seems to push away the littlest one, but i cant be sure. When is it time to give up the "wait and see" approach and really take action by bottle feeding? How weak do you let a kid get. What signs will i see that will tell me she is not doing well? She ate right after birth 2 or 3 times, (she is about8 hours old) but when i did a barn check she really didnt have any interest in nursing anymore. Is she full? Am I pushing her? It just seems her sisters are always in the mood for food. I just dont know when to step in. She is walking around, and mom is licking her, but she has no interest in nursing, thats all.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

is her tummy pooched out, is she still vigorous? she could be nursign when youre not there to watch
    if she nursed 2-3 times after birth , shes probobly doing fine, i assume by now mommy is settling into this baby thing
    as long as baby seems to be doing well,tummy is full and shes resting, or playing with the others
    its best to be hands off , letm ommy get the rest of the idea, i promise she will figure it out
    sounds liek things are better, keep me posted

7. chma4

I did a barn check this morning to find everyone bouncing and happy. I had had nightmares all night about waking up to bad news. When i went out i caught the tiny one drinking away. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Lucky you! Congrats....

Just a few weeks left for me, April 15.....I did see some little boobies growing ;) My girls are about as wide as they are tall....except for one first timer who I think bred late (we used a different buck for her).

You barn must be full!

9. chma4

very full, i have 5 does and 3 bucks and one nanny to go!