trip to san antonio

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by outsideman1, Sep 20, 2005.

1. outsideman1

outsideman1 Well-Known Member

i am going on a trip with my wife for her job to san antonio tomorrow . does anyone know of anywhere sights to see there . we will be staying 2 blocks from the alamo so i know i will be going there . any thoughts . hurricane is headed that way but we will be leaving friday about 3 so we should be gone before it gets there. thanks i should have put this in general chat but i dont know how to move it , sorry

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I would suggest a romantic evening on the Riverwalk and enjoying margaritas and fajitas at one of its quaint restaurants.

Visit the Mercado. There's a great fajita/margarita resturant there too, but I can't remember it's name.

And lastly, the Hall of Horns. You'll see it to the right of the Alamo.

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Depending on the sorts of things that you are interested in, there are a lot of things to see in San Antonio. We have two small art museums, a symphony, parks, Fiesta Texas and Sea World, The Longhorn museum, the Tower of the Americas, the RiverWalk, etc. Ripleys Believe it or Not Museum is across the street from the Alamo. The River Center Mall is blocks away and has: Imax, The Comedy Club, and is a good place to hop on the Riverwalk and stroll. Many many delicious Mexican restaurants. On the other end of downtown is Mi Tierra, a TexMex classic, with a bakery, mariachi bands and a mini Mexican market outside.

We also have a very nice zoo. North of SA, of course is Austin, which I prefer, New Braunfels has Gruene, an old town with good shops and restaurants, and of course Gruene Hall, lots of country bands.

Good for a start? Oh, we don't get hurricanes here, we are 3 hours from the coast. Worst case scenario might be some rainy days.

hollym

4. peri_simmons

peri_simmons Well-Known Member

Both ny DD and DS haver graduated from the Air Force in San Antonio. River Walk is fabulous. Also when you go to the Alamo across the street you will see these really cute buses that take you on a tour of the city and the old missions that is a interesting tour. It also contains lots of information on the city.

I was there for both kids eight years apart. I had a wonderful time both times the food and city are wonderful to this Midwest girl.

For us homesteaders the Botanical Gardens are a treat! Have a good time!11

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Definitely the river walk, the mercado-an open air market(but it may only be open on weekends), the trolley buses and the Mexican food. Also, the boat rides at the Riverwalk.

6. outsideman1

outsideman1 Well-Known Member

looks like i got you in trouble cabin , thanks for the info , looks like we will have some fun if the hurricane doesnt make it that far before we leave. i am ready for some of that tex mex

7. RLMS

RLMS Well-Known Member

The Menger Hotel. An old cattleman's hotel. Great lobby, many, many pictures--A lot of history.

Whenever I am in San Antonio I stay at the Menger.

If you go to the Alamo-you have to go to the Alamo-Make sure you take off your hat(men) when you enter. Heros died there.

8. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

San Marcus cave, also there is a park in San Marcus, can't remember what they call it, but you can take the glass bottom boat and watch an under water show. Also has some historic cabins in the park. We really enjoyed it but that was back in the 80s. Maybe some one here can give you the name of the park.

San Marcus is real close to San Antonio.

9. Lolly-Dolly

Lolly-Dolly Well-Known Member

Aquarena springs is/was the park in San Marcos, but it's now an "education center" part of the nearby college, and the glassbottom boats are gone.. bummer. San Marcos has a Cave called "wonder world" , but it's dry limestone, kind of dull compared to Natural Bridge Caverns, (just off 35 between San Antonio and New Braunfels) which has lots of stalactites & stalagmites and is a living, growing cave, a very fascinating tour and a good rainy day activity because it's all underground.

Also this week in New Braunfels is the Comal County Fair--the largest county fair in Texas. Should be a good time, and I don't just say that cause DH is a "drover" there, which basically means we both work our tails off, helping with the rodeo, admission gates, parking, drink stands, corralling critters, and whatever else needs doing. There's a huge Parade scheduled for Friday too... just hope Rita doesn't rain on it! Other rainy day things to do in SA include the Witte Museum. I'd skip the zoo If I were you, it's gone way downhill these past few years.

oh yeah.. I also thought if y'all like shopping there's the factory outlet shops, San Marcos has the "mecca" of those kind of shops. If it helps y'all to guage, New Braunfels is about 30 minutes north of SA on IH-35, and San Marcos is about 10-15 minutes north of NB. I usually avoid the "big cities" unless I have to, but riding a tourboat on the riverwalk is a "must do" for the touristy fun! Welcome to South Central Texas and hope y'all have a great time ( I know, you need to stay a month to get it all in, but that just gives you excuses to come back!)

10. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting note about Catholic Missions of which the Alamo is one. They started in Mexico City and came up through and across texas, out of Texas at El Paso, up the state of New Mexico to Albuquerque, across Arizona and finally up the coast of California. Most Californians think they are only in California. THEY call it the Kings Highway - El Camino Real, however few Californians realize that many other states have the El Camono Real and missions too. Missions were located 'one walking days apart'. The hardest part of the journey was in New Mexico ending at Socorro (to succor) which was at the first water and food at North end of a section of the trail called Jornada del Muerte (Journey of Death). This part was usually done at night as a forced march - many died trying to make it through the desert.