Trimming Rooster spurs

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by devittjl, Mar 6, 2011.

1. devittjl

devittjl Well-Known Member

Our rooster has amazing spurs. They are 3-4" long. But they are also making it difficult to walk and I am concerned about him causing harm to the hens.

Is there a way to trim the spurs?

2. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

I have cut back the nails a bit, but never actually removed the whole spur. I have heard of people doing it though.

3. theporkstork

theporkstork Well-Known Member

It is actually quite simple to remove spurs of that length. Simply hold your male bird under your arm, with his head toward your back. Grip his leg with one hand and with your other hand grip the spur and twist it left and right and it will pop right off. There will be a "stump" left which will bleed "slightly". From this stump, his spur will grow back again over a period of time. I use a disinfectant on the stump right afterward and if you want, sprinkle flour on it to dry up the blood quickly. Within minutes, he'll forget the whole thing.

4. delphinium

delphinium Well-Known Member

I use the same nail trimmers that I use for my dogs. I just check for the quick (shows through as pink) and cut just past that - no bleeding, I trim their nails, too.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I use a hack saw and cut to within 1/8-1/4 inch of the leg. It will grow back but takes a while. Have some blood stop handy.

6. wolffeathers

wolffeathers Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard if you use a dremel, it cuts and cauterizes at the same time.

I would imagine you'd have to have a good hold of your bird to keep from making unwanted cuts. I've heard this is an excellent method and plan to use it myself if the needed.

7. hugh

hugh Well-Known Member

what about putting a hot baked patoto on the spur no blood

8. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

When I trim a rooster's spur I use dog nail clippers. On my 3+ year old Delaware roosters the papilla (a cone of live tissue) is about one inch long. Don't trim the spur back to far, you don't want to cut into this tissue.
    You can see an x-ray at this site
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0014.html

I have also twisted off the the spur or keratinized if the rooster is an aggressive one but I still want to use it for breeding. Put blood stop on the exposed papilla, turn the rooster loose and the hard nail will grow back.

9. wolffeathers

wolffeathers Well-Known Member Supporter

That is an interested page. They mentioned "disbudding" young males to prevent the spur growth. I don't have any use for it, but I really thought it was interesting.

10. lilachill

lilachill Well-Known Member

I remove spurs the same way theporkstork does. I use a pliers and twist.I have Bluecote in the barn and sprayed that on the stumps There is a video on youtube showing a man removing them this way.
    Once I found the video and decided on a method, the removal was easy.