Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
E. WA - USDA Zone 5b
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Pyr for only about a month now and her nails are getting kinda long. She's 6 y.o. so pretty big and her nails are huge! They're just really thick! I can't get through them with any pair of regular dog nail clippers I've found. I've tried the ones that are kinda like scissors and the guillotine kind. Nothing has worked! It either does nothing at all to her nails or will shatter them. Can anyone recommend anything that will get through those big nails?

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
Dremmel..... I bought mine from Home Depot. Snap on the sander attachment and grind the nails down a little at a time. It takes the dog a while to get used to the sound and vibration of it, but in the long run it works better than nail trimmers.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Dremmel..... I bought mine from Home Depot. Snap on the sander attachment and grind the nails down a little at a time. It takes the dog a while to get used to the sound and vibration of it, but in the long run it works better than nail trimmers.
It's a great tool (I use it on my goats hooves too!), but be careful not to get the dogs hair caught in the Dremmel!

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Take her to a groomer. They will just do the nails, if you want. Mine charges $5, but for a dog that large, could be more. Watch what the groomer does. Ask her what brand would be good for you to file the nails yourself.

It might help if you rub a dab of vegetable oil on the nails before cutting.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I use electricians pliers. They have a cutting edge on one side and as long as your Pyr holds still, they are easy to position on the nail, and they cut right through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts