Trimming Pig Feet

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jul 27, 2004.

1. I have a pet pig that rescued himself from slaughter by jumping out of the truck when he was being transferred from the farrowing to the finishing farm. He was just a piglet then, but now he's really large (the vet says over 500 lb). His back hooves are getting way long and are beginning to split. Can anyone tell me how to trim a full grown hog's toenails? Help!

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

well, I have pigs, and have nevr had to trim their feet. he needs to be outside, and get lots of running time in. But if you have to trim them trim them like you would a goats.
    you can find a hundred places on the net, to show you how to trim a goats foot. just do it the same as that. your pig needs to run more, and they will wear down the hoofs.

3. Thanks for the info on using the goat hoof trimming procedure. I'll check it out and let you know how it goes. Wilbur lives outside, but we live in an area with sandy soil which doesn't wear down hooves well. I've had to have my goats hooves trimmed, but the guy I use doesn't do pigs. Thanks again.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

be sure to let us know how you do, and how it comes out for you. I trim our goats or my hubby does. we have to trim about every 2 months, and with 23 goats, that takes a while. but hubby is really getting good at it, so he is getting much faster than I.