Trimming our Own Hair , with Electric clippers???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, May 28, 2006.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Since I have to pay 12 bucks every time I get my regular Burr cut I thought I might try and cut my own hair with some electric clippers . Do any men around these parts successfully Trim\cut their own hair ??? And , are you able to reach the backside of your cranium with a rear view mirror???
    .............I found a set of electic dog grooming clippers that I purchased years back and I think they will work quite well ....for an Old Dog you understand....!! The brand name is Oster and I don't rightly remember what I paid but they were kinda pricey as I remember . Thanks , fordy... :bouncy:

2. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend it. I cut all my menfolk's hair and even with the guard on, if you get the clippers tilted at a different angle it will leave a hole. Looks choppy. And there's no way you'd be able to do a neat job shaving your neck. It's been my experience that there's usually someone about who knows how to give a man's haircut - so long as it's simple. Even more likely if the local barber isn't very good. Try asking older ladies whose husband's have nicely trimmed hair.

3. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

It kind of depends on what type of hair you have. Mine is wavy/curly enough that it hides any little imperfections, so I've often cut my own hair over the years, just using scissors. Lop it all off to about the same length and it looks fine. I got some clippers a few years back, with loads of attachments, and I can get it a lot shorter and it still looks good. The back is a challenge with a mirror, because you have to look in the bathroom mirror using a hand mirror, but Mrs Dubai absolutely refuses to help. So I manage to do it backwards and upside down, reversed....

It really comes down to how important it is that your hair look perfect. I think lots of vets just stop caring so much after that first Basic haircut. After all, it grows back! (usually!)

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I've chopped my own hair for nearly 30 years. Not too many point and laugh anymore.

5. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I have been just letting mine grow for over two years now. I am in the same boat, I dont want to pay for a cutt but dont know anyone i trust to do a good job

6. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

I use a pair of wahl clippers and cut my hair regularly. You get a feel for it after a few times; get someone to check for you and you'll do fine. I like the fact I don't have to depend on theDW or pay to cut it when I want.Get a good pair of clippers,like you might find at a beauty supply store. The cheap WM kind don't do as good a job and a really good pair pays foritself in no time, considering what a hair cut costs and the gas to get you there.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My son-in-law cuts his own hair and trims my daughter's hair. I don't see why you couldn't do your own. If you mess up, just put on a cap!

8. dseng

dseng Member

I cut my own hair all the time and have for several years. I have an Oster electric trimmer and just put on the shortest guard and cut it all the same length (about an 1/8th of an inch). Have to go back and forth in several different directions to get a nice even cut (what little hair I have left is very fine). Don't even have to use a mirror anymore - just do it by feel.

The downside is missing out on the local doings down at the barbershop. :)

9. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Thankfully, my wife cuts mine and the boys, but my BIL cuts his own. He does a good job, too.

10. Richard6br

Richard6br Well-Known Member

My wife and I have been using a Flowbee hair cutting tool for years. I can't remember the last time either one of us paid for a hair cut. Look it up on the internet. Just type in flowbee on google. It is really simple to use and does a very good job.

11. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Hair? Why would anyone want hair? When haircuts started costing more than $5 and about the same time I started "wearing out on top", I bought a rechargeable "beard trimmer" and simply buzzed it all off.

It's been that way ever since. My wife has taken over “barber duty” and every couple weeks it takes her ten minutes to take care of the hair and the beard. She likes both the way they are.

I flat don't care what anyone else thinks of my haircut or anything else and I am not enamored of mirrors. Simple solution -- saves a bunch of time on cutting, combing, shaving, etc and saves a bunch of money. The small clipper does a great job.

12. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) My dh cut his own hair for many years and let me tell you I wish I had known about this Flowbee! What a good idea! I think I'll try it and start cutting my own. IT's already so short that it couldn't make much difference whether I did it or the beauty parlor. LOL

Thanks for the good tips...good thread fordy!

LQ

13. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

if you just have a buzz cut it is no problem cutting your own just use the #2 guard and it should come out just fine

14. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Seems like it would be hard to mess up a burr haircut. I cut men's hair...just family and friends. I have no training whatsoever,so I'm glad most of them wear a hat :p

15. Richard6br

Richard6br Well-Known Member

One bit of advise, if you do buy a flowbee, be very careful with the spacer attachments. We have broken a few and the replacements aren't cheap. You will be surprised how good the flowbee cuts, with a little practice you will love it. I have even trimmed the cockapoo with it lol.

16. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I have some remington clippers and cut my own hair. I am follicly challenged but have thickness on the sides and little up top. I use the 1/8" guard and go over each area 2-3 times. I check it in the mirror a bit and ask the wife to check it. I get all of it about 95% of the time. Also, if you want a cut that'll last a bit longer, get the disposable razor out and shaving cream and go at it. I figure in the 20 years I've been doing this, I've saved about $1000 on haircuts.

Don't be afraid...you can do it. Hats will cover up any mistakes.....

rw

17. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Well friends , I feel awhole lot better about this hair trimming idea of mine . I don't worry about mistakes or whatever cause the top of my head looks like Yellowstone after the big fire in 1988 , now the sides are plumb thick so If I let it grow out real long , I could become another Binny Hinn and and become a Star and comb one side all the way over to the Other . Wouldn't that be special !! Thanks for all your kind input , fordy... :)

18. Ol'Reb

Ol'Reb aka Mr T-Bone

I cut my own once a year whether it needs it or not.

19. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

I use my beard trimmer and I do it myself and then let my wife take a look at the back. Shave it right to the skull and breath a sigh of relief because I saved another $10. I've been doing that for about 5 years now I guess. It's only hair.

Be careful with dog trimmers though. They'll cut your scalp pretty good if you get it just right.

20. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Thanks Rich! I will remember that! I already vacuum my 3 dogs but maybe they wouldn't mind me taking some of that hair off while I am at it?? OF course, they are Cattle Dogs so they may mind a bit......LOL

LQ