trimming hooves

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by lizmont2000, Apr 23, 2005.

1. lizmont2000

lizmont2000 Active Member

How do you all trim your cow's hooves?
    We have 2 weanlings that I'd like to get used to the procedure, if I only knew what the procedure was!
    Thanks in advance,
    Liz
    www.luckylizardranch.com

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Most cattle go thier whole life without ever having thier hooves trimmed. Unless you show them or keep them in confinement it probably will never be necessary.

3. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

Liz,

some folks will trim extra long toes themselves using either a chisel and mallet
    ( I do on occasion ) or special hoof nippers and a hoof knife if you can lift their feet.
    but , most of teh time I call teh hoof trimmer and he brings out his chute (some are upright .. some are tilt tables ) my trimmer uses an upright that has hydrolics that lift the feet .. a trimmer will use either hand tools , much better job .. or a rotory trimmer (very fast and foot dammage can occur more easily so not as desireable )
    trimmers prefer to do herds that have large numbers dairies and so forth . so an appointment sure needs to be made ... my trimmer varies his cost by the number of cows being done .. 10 or more , $10 apiece .. he wont come for less than ten animals ... accept if you willing to pay teh price for ten .. i usually only do the show string... or the occasional older animal who has extra long toes
    but tinknal is right most cows go their whole life with out ever being trimmed

Paula
    Hyde Park Farm