Trimming hooves during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

I was noticing last night that the girlies could stand to have their hooves trimmed. A rank beginner, I pulled out my books and noticed that one says that you shouldnt trim in the last 2 months of pregnancy. Weeelll...if they were successfully bred, then we are within that last two month mark on at least one of them. Do we wait?

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I've trimmed hooves at all stages of pregnancy with no problems.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

I trim feet all through out the pregnancy....better to keep them trimmed than to try to correct problems later.

Granted it takes a little longer when they're heavy preg. because I don't ask them to stand too long on 3 legs. ;)

But we still do it during pregnancy.Even bucks...p.u. :waa: Eyes running and all!

Kaye

4. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

I trim the rears on my does before they kid and half of them will hop up on the milkstand a week before they are due. if they don't want to, I trim them tied to the fence. They do fine... trimming hooves would be no different, just be careful with her and take it easy. don't want to sore her up bad.

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Yep I trim when ever and clip etc all during pgy as said before just try not to trim too close so as to have sore hooves.

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The old notion was that if you lifted the gals leg up too high in the rear you could somehow cause her to abort....I would bet with some searching you could find the old thread on this, and an argument that insued from it :) Some big mouth gal...me...and a MAN of course :) Likely was the old contrysidemag.com site.

I would bet new information on this is from the Boer industry. Remember in most larger herds the goats are only handled when worming and hoof trimmings take place, sometimes only twice a year. Most are moved from pasture to pasture on a 3 wheeler with dogs...so in a case like this, no you would not want to stress a very heavy bred doe out of putting her into a squeeze shoot, let her kid and then treat her. Vicki