Trimmed some hooves!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoatLove, Aug 21, 2006.

1. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

Yesterday was hoove trimming day. I sat down and picked up Ricky, my little pygmy, and he sat right in my lap while I trimmed his little hooves! I couldn't believe how relaxed he was. When I was finished, he just stayed seated in my lap! So cute :) I love my pygmy! :p

2. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Wonderful! Those are his safety shoes and taking good care of them is important. :)

My hubby does most of our goat and cow hoof trimming when they alre laying down chewing cud. It can be a very relaxing activity once everybody is used to it.

Glad Ricky had a good time.

Lynda

3. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

wow :D for the big goats I usually have to bend myself in some way and squish them against the wall to do that. The kids usually just lay in my lap though.

4. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I did hooves yesterday too - 14 sets! Didn't do the week old bucklings, but I disbudded them. It was goat torture day. :p Today is people torture day - back and quads! :baby04:

I wish mine would lie quietly in my lap . . .

5. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

Ricky is the only one that will lay in my lap. The other two are Lamancha/Nubian wethers and I have to wrestle them to do their hooves! Not fun.

6. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

If I'd done 14 sets I wouldnt be able to walk today...it is definately very straining on the old back....and I dont feel like doing 20 sets. :baby04:

7. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I put mine on the milk stand and that helps BIG TIME. But I do have one wether (well he is more my mom's baby) who lays down on the milk stand. Yep lays down....he HATES beyond HATES having his hooves trimmed. No clue why. Had him since a baby and nothing bad ever happened to him while do hooves. His brother doesn't do that and neither does any of my other goats.

He is just the oddball of the group I guess. I sure wish my kids would just lay in my lap and let me clip hooves. It KILLS my back to clip up 20 some sets of hooves :help: . I learned never ever try to clip hooves when it is even mildly warm.....it just makes everything ten times worse (being sticky, having flies all around you, being hot). Thank goodness for fans!

MotherClucker

8. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Yes, well . . . :rolleyes: I had 288 boxes come in at work on Friday. Yesterday, I worked on tallying them, and very carefully not moving them too far. Today, I combined my weight training with my stairmaster work - up and down ladders with 40 lb boxes. Thank goodness for chiropractors! (I have a great bonus package at work - they pay me to work out and I don't have to pay for a gym membership! :p )