Tries to pee when I milk back teats??? why??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Apr 18, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Today (am and pm) when I went to milk Annies back teats she acts like she is going to urinate. I smack her on the rump and say no and she stops. Why is she starting this? She is approx 5 months bred. Then when I was feeding the calf (not hers although yesterday she did let him nurse on her all day and he sucked her dry! No more letting him out!) she was tinkling a drop then pawing and covering it up. What's the deal? She's acting real weird like that. She's fine and eats a lot like normal. Any ideas?? Any would be great! Thanks!

2. melwynnd

melwynnd living More with Less!

Are you positive she's still pregnant?? The only time Daisy May pees when I milk is when she's bulling. It's possible your cow miscarried. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Cows!! Gotta love them! :D

Sherry

3. allenslabs

She was preg checked about 3 weeks ago and was bred. So lets hope. I think she still is. She has some clear mucous and has had some for about 2 weeks and never any blood or anythign like that.
    Oh yes.... if I didn't love her.... I think I'd choke her! HAHA!!
    Thanks!

4. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

allenslabs...try this switch your way of milking if you milk two front first milk the two back first or other way around...most cows i have put calfs on when they know there going to be sucked as soon as the calfs touch there tits they pee.......just like me when i get my hands wet......see if it is back tits or just milking........one of my milk cows didn't like strange calfs sucking she would paw the ground and shake her head when i put the second batch on her but was ok any time i let her calf suck......like she wanted the milk out but didnt want the stranger to get it.....john

5. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Maybe her back teats are a little sensitive for some reason. Some of our cows react to discomfort when milked (physical and emotional!) by threatening to pee.

6. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the same hormone that causes the cow to let down her milk (oxytocin) causes some cows to urinate. One of our cows pees every time her milk lets down. Even when it's the calf nursing and not us milking. I'd never punish her since it's so obviously a physiological thing. We just sit back, get the bucket out of the way and wait a sec.
    I just reread your post and it does sound a little weird with her just peeing a few drops like that. What is she doing today?

7. allenslabs

Today she was fine. So maybe it was just cause that calf had been bugging her all day. This am I milked her back 2 first and no problem. Not sure what her deal was yesterday. We'll just see how it goes I guess. Thanks all!

8. Ksar

Ksar Member

HI Jessi

LOL, ;D Annie is probably showing you she can be just as quirky as Molly. Molly did that same thing, three things came to mind. She forgot to go before she came up to milk(they will do this to get back at you,hehe) or her calf could be pushing on her bladder, causing that "I gotta Pee" when you do the back teats.You know how those bladders are when your carrying a load. Last but not least, I know when I breastfed, the nursing always triggered the "I gotta go" feeling. Since you broke up her and Crickets nursing fun, I bet she is just "paying you back" in her own lil way. If she is eating and everything else fine, doubt theres any ailment. Watch that she is emptying(peeing) at other times normally, or if it dribbles. If she is trying but not producing anything but a dribble then might be a UTI.

Cya later
    Kathy