Tricks to stacking firewood?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deberosa, Oct 30, 2004.

1. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I spent this evening stacking firewood for the first time in 20 some years! As I was doing it, I wondered if there is a better way. I had semi circles, circles, flats and pie shape chunks. Got any slick tricks for making a nice stack? I am afraid mine is stacked, but not very "pretty". :haha:

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Sounds 'prety functional' to me. :haha:
    Are you decorating, or going to burn the stack eventually.
    Seeing as you are having so many odd shaped pieces, it'll be difficult to stack any better than what you probably have done. I have gotten wood delivered bulk in 8' log lengths. It's unloaded off the truck with a grapple in about 10 minutes it's 'stacked' . When I have to cut wood stove lengths, I just restack it where I had 7' high fence posts on each end to get the pile up as high as possible. Without those supports, you're limited to how high you can stack. If you pyramind it, what the heck, as long as snow or rain drains off reasonably fast.
    :D

3. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I dump mine in a big pile and forget it.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

This year I'm driving Steel Post in,stacking in between them.Covering with piece of Metal.

Oh its best to stack with Bark up so it will shed water better.

big rockpile

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad stacks his neatly between the small trees in his backyard. They make nice "bookends."

6. deberosa

I was really temped to do that! :)

7. deberosa

Good point. :haha: It's just that when they brought it they did have it very neatly stacked in their truck - could see it was clearly a cord. My way took up more space so figured I must be doing something "wrong". :D So you don't bother to cover it? I put a tarp over it and put some pieces of wood around the edge to hold it down. Won't get much snow on it here, but lots of rain...

8. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

After stacking firewood for 25+ yr. it almost becomes an "art". You seem to automatically learn from experience how to stack by eyeballing the pile and knowing what piece to pick up next, by shape & length, that will stack neatly & firmly...yes, any wood stacked up off the ground will dry, but a neatly stacked pile just looks better.

9. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'de only cover the stack with a tarp, from snow or if you anticipate long periods where it won't dry from the rain. It keeps you drier handling it than when it's not covered and you get wet. Otherwise, you'll use it up over the season and covering won't matter one way or the other. I am guessing you got seasoned dry wood? It'll burn unless it absolutely sits in water continuously.
    I am lucky burning in an outside wood furnace which burns green wood fairly efficiently and no worries about creosote in the chimney.
    The idea of stacking it with bark side up helps keep drier also.

10. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

We use old pallets. Lay one down, take another one and nail it upright on the edge of the one laying down. Make another "form" like that for the other end. Then lay as many in between as you need.

11. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

For making a pretty good-sized pile without supports, I create internal "posts" on both ends of the pile as I stack, by layering the flattest pieces in a tic-tac-toe pattern. For long piles, you can create a "post" ever four feet or so of length, which will help prevent avalanches and create a very artistic result. I don't know what to do with the really odd-shaped pieces. Being fairly OCD, they bug me, too.

Weather looks amazingly good for us here in Western Washington this weekend--today may be the last day we have to winterize without donning flippers. Hope all's well!

12. Rod Torgeson

Rod Torgeson Well-Known Member

deberosa.....I put treated posts in the ground about 8 feet apart. Then attach a 2 x 6 about 24" long(horizontal) to the top.Then between each post after the 2 x 6s are attached to each post, attach three 2 x4s between the posts. These are attached using metal brackets and should have a slight slope so the water will run off. One 2 x 4 is in the center and two on each side. The ones on the sides are set lower then the one in the middle. This creates an arch to attach corrugated metal roofing to. This allows air to move through the wood but protects the top from rain or snow. Hope this helps. Rod in Appleton, WA

13. deberosa

I knew there were tricks to this. Amelia, the weather might be nice on your side of the sound but I was stacking either in the rain or between downpours over here yesterday! Today looks a bit more promising so far.

Glad to hear a little rain won't hurt. I only put the tarp across the top of the pile. It is very nicely seasoned firwood so I didn't want to ruin it. I really need to clear out my old wood shed and I wouldn't have this problem, waiting for very cold because I am sure it is loaded with very nasty spiders right now. I used the wood out of it all of last winter.

Now I have lots of ideas for my next load of wood!