Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to propose a little social experiment that will tell us, I think, a lot about the tribe one keeps.

I apologize in advance to WR, as this is almost surely a thread that will end up flung over the wall on one of her rounds- even though it doesn’t have to be. I only suspect that it will end up there because I think that some won’t like the way they know their answer will reflect on their claims of not being tied to one “side” or the other. Who knows, maybe they won’t participate, or, better still, will just provide their honest answer and leave it at that.

The game:

List five members that you find either/or:
a) their positions interesting
b) you respect
c) could tolerate living with in a tribe of only six

...and, then, state where you think they (generally) lie on the left/right spectrum.

The point is to see if you would actually hold yourself to a tribe of like minded folks and/or if your really can tolerate alternative viewpoints.

Mine (in no particular order):

@no really (center/center-right)
@mreynolds (right/center-right)
@Lisa in WA (center-left)
@Twp.Tom (near-left/left)
@Cabin Fever (nobody knows, and that’s part of what would make him an interesting tribe member)

Honorable Mention, and always welcome at the fire pit: @wr

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I will participate tomorrow when one of my nephews can show me how this new phone works! You do have a good idea on your pics!

·
Premium Member
19,784 Posts
this is tough it seems like picking people already mentioned would be cheating but Id easily pick all of the above and the OP. Off the top of my head, and in addition to all in the original post.
@HDRider right/far right
@Bearfootfarm center/right
@wr center/right
@Mish center/right
@Cornhusker far right

and yes...I think GM got my politics right. Though I call myself more of a skeptical independent .
I’m guessing he is center/right too.
though I am probably way off on everyone.

·
Shazbot!
4,891 Posts
I agree with Lisa about thinking of others that haven't been mentioned.

@Ozarks Tom - center right/right
@Sawmill Jim- center right/right
@willow Girl- center left?left
@Irish Pixie- center left/left
@watcher- center right

I have disagreed with each one of these folks on one or more issues but after each debate, neither of us held a grudge or wished ill will toward the other. And they each caused me to reconsider my position at least once. I respect each and think each ones heart would be in the right place for their tribe.

·
Have a Great Day!
5,135 Posts
I’m going to propose a little social experiment that will tell us, I think, a lot about the tribe one keeps.

I apologize in advance to WR, as this is almost surely a thread that will end up flung over the wall on one of her rounds- even though it doesn’t have to be. I only suspect that it will end up there because I think that some won’t like the way they know their answer will reflect on their claims of not being tied to one “side” or the other. Who knows, maybe they won’t participate, or, better still, will just provide their honest answer and leave it at that.

The game:

List five members that you find either/or:
a) their positions interesting
b) you respect
c) could tolerate living with in a tribe of only six

...and, then, state where you think they (generally) lie on the left/right spectrum.

The point is to see if you would actually hold yourself to a tribe of like minded folks and/or if your really can tolerate alternative viewpoints.

Mine (in no particular order):

@mreynolds (right/center-right)
@Twp.Tom (near-left/left)
@Cabin Fever (nobody knows, and that’s part of what would make him an interesting tribe member)

Honorable Mention, and always welcome at the fire pit: @wr
Good observation in general. I am curious about the true integrity, and honesty of everyone that posts on the internet. I am honest about what I say- but everything is subject to change- since we are constantly evolving.
I was raised in a very split household- Father was very Conservative, Mother was very Liberal. There was lots of arguing and disagreements. Lol To say the least*
I think that the issues that we face day to day, determines which way we lean. I like to think that I am Center/Left. I am not a Conservative, or Trump supporter, nor Am I a die hard Democrat. Actually , I like to think of myself as an Anarchist. ALL of the current Politicians are Bought and paid for- and not by You and I. It disgusts me!. I am not very confident that the Government is heading in the right direction. Wake up America!, Term limits!, Limit Monetary Contributions by big business, and the wealthy. Stop the war mongering- Use those Défense funds for infrastructure and Social Programs! Take back our Country!

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Oh this is so cool! Kind'a like deciding who to sit with at lunch when you were in school. Nah, I don't do the "let's form a group of cool kids and laugh at the dweebs" thing. You go right ahead though, if that's your thing.

·
Registered
27,538 Posts
@doc- (center-right)
@wr (center-right)
@muleskinner2 (right)

I don't like putting limits. Each person brings flavor and it might not fit every meal, but makes for enjoyable variety.

@Bearfootfarm, @GunMonkeyIntl, @Irish Pixie, @painterswife and even @SLADE, EVERYONE brings something to the party.

I don't want to boot anyone off the island. I don't want to practice exclusion.

I may aggravate you, and you may find me off putting, but when push comes to shove all we have are each other.

If you will stick your head up and shoot, I want you in my fox hole

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
:love::love::love::love::love::love: I feel the love.

Reactions: Twp.Tom

·
Registered
30,736 Posts

@watcher- center right

I have disagreed with each one of these folks on one or more issues but after each debate, neither of us held a grudge or wished ill will toward the other. And they each caused me to reconsider my position at least once. I respect each and think each ones heart would be in the right place for their tribe.
I respect you too, and thank you.

Reactions: nchobbyfarm

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

@watcher- center right

Is Willow Girl still around? I thought she left with the forum ownership was pulling their periodic shenanigans.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@doc- (center-right)
@wr (center-right)
@muleskinner2 (right)

I don't like putting limits. Each person brings flavor and it might not fit every meal, but makes for enjoyable variety.

@Bearfootfarm, @GunMonkeyIntl, @Irish Pixie, @painterswife and even @SLADE, EVERYONE brings something to the party.

I don't want to boot anyone off the island. I don't want to practice exclusion.

I may aggravate you, and you may find me off putting, but when push comes to shove all we have are each other.

If you will stick your head up and shoot, I want you in my fox hole
I get what you’re saying but the point wasn’t about excluding anyone. There are a couple members who I almost always disagree with, and even one or two who I don’t even really like, who I’ve stuck up for with the mods when they were banned or excluded from a section.

I rarely enjoy conversation, at least about anything substantive, with people whom I see eye-to-eye with as I do people who challenge my view.

The lunch table analogy given earlier (even though I think the rest of the comment completely missed the mark) was a good one. If you had a cafeteria full of tables-for-six, who would you most often end up sitting with? I suppose it could be a virtue to be one of the rare ones who sits with different people every day, but the vast majority aren’t that way.

The thought experiment was just about who, or, more precisely, what sort of people would you end up gravitating toward in that cafeteria.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm just getting to know all y'all, so I'll just hang with everyone!

But if I must pick 5, are there 5 who live in east NC or southeast VA? There you go!

·
Premium Member
19,784 Posts
Is Willow Girl still around? I thought she left with the forum ownership was pulling their periodic shenanigans.
I don’t think Ozarks Tom, Sawmill Jim or Watcher are around any more either.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh this is so cool! Kind'a like deciding who to sit with at lunch when you were in school. Nah, I don't do the "let's form a group of cool kids and laugh at the dweebs" thing. You go right ahead though, if that's your thing.
It’s totally cool if you don’t want to play. As a matter of fact, if that’s the direction your mind goes when considering it, I’m actually glad you didn’t.

I’ve yet to see anyone else respond to imply cliqueing up with “cool kids”, and definitely haven’t see anyone else say anything about labeling everyone else as “dweebs”.

In fact, there’s been exactly one person, so far, that’s taken it that direction...

·
Registered
27,538 Posts
I get what you’re saying but the point wasn’t about excluding anyone. There are a couple members who I almost always disagree with, and even one or two who I don’t even really like, who I’ve stuck up for with the mods when they were banned or excluded from a section.

I rarely enjoy conversation, at least about anything substantive, with people whom I see eye-to-eye with as I do people who challenge my view.

The lunch table analogy given earlier (even though I think the rest of the comment completely missed the mark) was a good one. If you had a cafeteria full of tables-for-six, who would you most often end up sitting with? I suppose it could be a virtue to be one of the rare ones who sits with different people every day, but the vast majority aren’t that way.

The thought experiment was just about who, or, more precisely, what sort of people would you end up gravitating toward in that cafeteria.
I get it. I know some will find this hard to believe, but I was one that sat at different tables. I have mixed it up all over the world. That said, I am not going to back down from the haters on here.

I've said this to others. I am so tired of all the division in the world, and in our country. There are way more things we agree on than have to fight about. We are being played, and I don't see any way out. I'm not going to give in, or give out, but I sure would like us to start to feel good about our country again. Patriotism is a bad word now. The AOCs in the US seem to hate our country, and all it stood for.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get it. I know some will find this hard to believe, but I was one that sat at different tables. I have mixed it up all over the world. That said, I am not going to back down from the haters on here.

I've said this to others. I am so tired of all the division in the world, and in our country. There are way more things we agree on than have to fight about. We are being played, and I don't see any way out. I'm not going to give in, or give out, but I sure would like us to start to feel good about our country gain. Patriotism is a bad word now. The AOCs in the US seem to hate our country, and all it stood for.
So, wait a minute, none of us were allowed to suppose that we’d be one of the 40% or so who were anti-slavery back in the 1850s, but you get to be that unicorn that literally hung out with everyone in school?

Sure.

JK. Just giving you a razz.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts