Tresspassing by Hunters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Just a thought for those of you who do not hunt, are not against it, yet don't want to deal with tresspassers.

Consider renting out your woods on a hunting lease. It can be a flat fee or so much per acre per year. Ask around and you can find what the going per acre fee is. I charge $3.00 per acre of woods and have been offered much more by people wanting to take away the lease from the current group.

It has the benefit of their, not you, policing tresspassers. They would be responsible for putting up and maintaining posted signs. If you see someone on your property who you do not think is part of their group, you call their contact point and they deal with it. Perhaps you can specify their members wear an orange vest with a black sideways stripe so you can tell hunters apart.

However, check with your insurance agent first on a possible change in insurance rating. If you allow free hunting, say by a neighbor, you are generally held not liable as long as their aren't known hazards, such as an abandoned pit well.* You may have to obtain additional liability insurance. However, if the lease cost covers it, you are not out money-wise.

*A coworker bought an house in an established neighborhood. Once day he notice when his kid ran on a certain area of the yard it seems to have give. He took off the top soil and hit boards. Under them was an old pit well.

Ken Scharabok

2. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I would make sure the lease is EXTREMELY specific or you could end up with more problems than the trespassers gave you. I've heard of a couple of horror stories around my area about badly written leases.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

If anyone wants a copy of my hunting lease they can e-mail me at scharabo@aol.com. It was not run by an attorney though.

Ken Scharabok

4. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me that someone would cover a well with boards and topsoil, like that's going to make any danger go away.

5. jenzden

jenzden Active Member

Ken - is this $3 per acre a flat fee for the year or is this a monthly fee? I'm curious. We have 32 acres which we hunt but sometimes I find myself wishing I could hunt somewhere else for a change...