Trembling pig question?????

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by willow_girl, Dec 2, 2004.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Today I was scratching our pot-bellied pig while she was flopped over on her side, and she began trembling.

It was quite pronounced!

My husband said he's seen her do this before. (He spends a lot more time with her than I do, since she lives in his workshop. :) )

I was concerned.

Is this normal?

(When I stopped scratching her, she got up and stopped trembling. She appears to be eating, drinking, and otherwise acting normally.)

P.S. She is 11 months old, has not been spayed, is somewhat overweight :eek: , has never had any health problems that we know of!

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i've never seen mine do that. maybe she was just really, really enjoying getting her belly scratched???:)

on second thought, i wonder if she was trying really hard to get up, and was too heavy to just jump to her feet?

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Hmmm ... I dunno ... don't think so, though, because as soon as I quit scratching her, she got up and moseyed off without any apparent problem ...

She did not seem to be in distress (squealing or barking), just shaking ...

It was almost like some kind of seizure ...

(I have a cat with myesthenia gravis, who sometimes seizures when he gets excited, like when he's being petted.)

Kinda made me wonder ... :(

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

its likely just a reflex, just like scratching a dogs side makes it start shaking its back leg. Pigs aren't that different

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks George! My husband said that too ... I didn't believe him, though! :haha: